Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur won't allow me to scan on a Canon printer/scanner

I have a Macbook Pro running Big Sur 11.5.1. I also have a canon Pixma MG 7500 series printer/scanner. I usually print and scan using AirPrint. I am the owner and the administrator for this laptop.

Every time I try to scan something (scanner worked well before updating to Big Sur) I get a Mac message saying, "You do not have permission to open the application "canonIJscanner14F.app"". And then I get a message on the scanner (through the printer) that says " Failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)". Printer function works fine.

I have also tried scanning using the Mac Image capture and preview apps and I get the same messages.

Any thoughts?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 13, 2021 1:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2021 2:50 PM

Hi,

Similar Big Sur problems have been reported with scanners from various printer manufacturers. Camp_mother mentioned a solution for Canon in https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253004346?answerId=255650031022#255650031022 . Would something like that possibly work with your scanner? Power cycling the devices involved may also be worth testing.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2021 2:50 PM in response to Rich0842

Hi,

Similar Big Sur problems have been reported with scanners from various printer manufacturers. Camp_mother mentioned a solution for Canon in https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253004346?answerId=255650031022#255650031022 . Would something like that possibly work with your scanner? Power cycling the devices involved may also be worth testing.

Aug 13, 2021 2:50 PM in response to Rich0842

You can only print via AirPrint. Scanning is done either with a third-party app or Image Capture if the printer supports Image Capture Architecture.

Find the CanonIJScanner14F.app and try to open it in the Finder. That may resolve the quarantine and allow you to scan.

If you get the same message, try ctrl-clicking on it and choose Open, then Open again in the warning dialog box.

Big Sur won't allow me to scan on a Canon printer/scanner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.