Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot add my email account

I've had a Mac Pro for years running High Sierra. The Mac or the OS kept changing my outgoing email server which prevented me from sending emails. I finally gave up on both the Pro and the OS and bought a refurbished Mac Mini with Mojave as the OS and used migration assistant to move everything from the Pro to the Mini hoping that my email problem would not follow. Now I am unable to set up my email on the Mini. I fill out the info needed to add an account (name, email, password) and click 'sign in.' The little spoke wheel just spins; for hours, and if I let it, it would spin for days. Doesn't matter what I do or how I do it I am unable to set up or add my established email to this computer. I know all the info is correct because I can access my account on my provider's site and I receive and can send email on my iPad. High Sierra would change the outgoing server to smtpauth.wowway.com. Didn't matter that I edited it numerous times, it always reverted to the wrong server and the wrong port. How can I get my established email account loaded onto my Mini?

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 13, 2021 2:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2021 5:16 PM

Very strange, and offering suggestion after you tried every thing would be fruitless if not dangerous, but...

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2021 5:16 PM in response to jonfromdeland

Very strange, and offering suggestion after you tried every thing would be fruitless if not dangerous, but...

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

Aug 16, 2021 2:21 AM in response to bhagwat30

Have you verified with outlook.com, if they have starting Requiring an Application Specific Password to access their mail service ??

Much like Apple has done for Third Party Applications accessing iCloud Mail Using app-specific passwords

Aside - using Migrate Assist from problematic computer to newer computer might have brought the problem from old computer to newer computer. There are certain dangers if Everything was Migrated from Old >> New.

Cannot add my email account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.