Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iMac won't add mail account

I have a new iMac and set it up by transferring data wirelessly from my old one. The new machine has added my Apple email account but didn't automatically add my other main email account, which is running on the old iMac and current iPhone. When I try to add the account manually - having reviewed the email address and password carefully - I get the little spinning pinwheel for several minutes, then nothing. I've never previously had problems adding or removing mail accounts; it's usually a fairly simple process.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 2:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 8:43 AM

Thanks for that info.

Well, please try restarting in Safe Mode to clear some caches. If you have never done a Safe Mode restart the instructions are in Safe Mode Reset. Note, if you are using a wireless keyboard please use the USB cable that came with the keyboard and execute the SM Reset. Also, please continue holding the Shift key until it starts, this can take up to 10 minutes. After it restarts, please restart normally and re-attempt adding the account. If it still fails, then I think you need to call AppleCare. They can log-into your computer with your approval and help troubleshoot. AppleCare contact Information

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2021 8:43 AM in response to enigmatix

Thanks for that info.

Well, please try restarting in Safe Mode to clear some caches. If you have never done a Safe Mode restart the instructions are in Safe Mode Reset. Note, if you are using a wireless keyboard please use the USB cable that came with the keyboard and execute the SM Reset. Also, please continue holding the Shift key until it starts, this can take up to 10 minutes. After it restarts, please restart normally and re-attempt adding the account. If it still fails, then I think you need to call AppleCare. They can log-into your computer with your approval and help troubleshoot. AppleCare contact Information

Dec 10, 2021 8:32 AM in response to rkaufmann87

OK, thanks.

I've opened Mail > Add account > Choose provider

Enter Account name, email address and password - all of which which I've entered correctly, having rechecked from my saved password list and from the account provider on line: which is BT (British Telecom).

At this point the process stalls for several minutes and fails to connect.

I've checked there's not a problem with the BT mail account by sending a mail from my Apple address: it arrived immediately.

Not being very good with tech, I've run out of ideas.

Thanks again for trying to help.

Dec 10, 2021 1:46 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Hi.

I followed your advice to restart in Safe Mode but after restart it was just the same. I tried loading a different mail account which was also rejected. I called the Apple Care number but it was closed, out of hours, when suddenly a pop-up on my desktop announced that my BT mail account had loaded, despite the fact that I'd given up trying.

Seems to be working fine now. Go figure.

Thanks for the advice.

Mike

New iMac won't add mail account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.