Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Device formatting / lost ID

My mother has an old iPad model (A1416) that she has not used for some time, which she wanted to give as a gift. However, after formatting the device it now requires a login using an old AppleID. Unfortunately, this is not an AppleID she has used for a while, she does not recognize security questions, and the masked email it sends verification emails to does not match any of her (or my) email addresses.

Weirdly, the device was in the list of devices under her current AppleID, and I have deleted it to make sure it is not associated with her AppleID any longer. I don't know why it now requires the old AppleID that she has not used for quite some time.

Is there any way whatsoever I can reset the device for good? Happy to call Apple support and provide current AppleID to prove this is not some sort of fraud.

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 4:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 5:18 AM

If you are sure it is listed under her current ID? Have you tried entering that instead?

Has the device been able to connect to the Internet? If she changed her ID on another device then the information about the ID change may not have been transmitted back to the old iPad if it has not been able to connect to Apple's servers to get the updated information. What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

- If you use the "Find My" feature disable Find My before changing your information, change the information, then reactivate it with the new information.

If necessary and you are willing to wait, Apple can completely reset a device if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. Do this online at: Activation Lock support request - https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not state what currently constitutes proof. Prior to this new online service Apple typically required the original receipt issued by Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller and documented provenance (so typically it would be the original owner who does this, or a descendant with legal proof of ownership).

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2021 5:18 AM in response to KhLida

If you are sure it is listed under her current ID? Have you tried entering that instead?

Has the device been able to connect to the Internet? If she changed her ID on another device then the information about the ID change may not have been transmitted back to the old iPad if it has not been able to connect to Apple's servers to get the updated information. What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

- If you use the "Find My" feature disable Find My before changing your information, change the information, then reactivate it with the new information.

If necessary and you are willing to wait, Apple can completely reset a device if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. Do this online at: Activation Lock support request - https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not state what currently constitutes proof. Prior to this new online service Apple typically required the original receipt issued by Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller and documented provenance (so typically it would be the original owner who does this, or a descendant with legal proof of ownership).

Aug 14, 2021 6:19 AM in response to KhLida

If you still have the receipt then contact Apple about resetting the device as I posted about earlier. What you are seeing is related to this:

'Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch' is a security feature that's designed to prevent anyone else from using an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, if it's ever lost or stolen. To learn more click here --> http://support.apple.com/HT201365

For an individual to remove an activation lock absolutely requires the information for the account that applied the lock. Click on this link to learn 'How to remove Activation Lock' --> https://support.apple.com/HT201441

Aug 14, 2021 5:51 AM in response to Limnos

Hi Limnos,

Thanks for the suggestions!

It was listed under her current ID, but we have deleted the device everywhere as we thought this is the right way to factory reset. So now it is not listed under her current ID. It also does not request that ID, asking instead for password to another ID (which is likely her old AppleID that she has not used for quite some time).

I am not sure if the device can be connected to the internet at the point where it asks for password (on boot), but I will check.

We would be willing to wait, but clearly the iPad was bought any years ago so I am not sure she has any proof of purchase whatsoever. It is likely she didn't even buy it, as it was a gift.

Aug 14, 2021 6:11 AM in response to Eric Root

No, that's the problem. She does not recall the password, does not recognize the security questions, and the masked email where it proposes to send retrieval email does not match any of our emails.

In fact, I would doubt it's her ID at all, but the name of the ID is a name I recognize, so it's highly likely it's her long-forgotten Apple ID.

Device formatting / lost ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.