Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can’t get apple secure video to stream on my phone with my VPN turned on, It will show the last image taken by the camera but won’t stream live. I am using NordVPN

I can’t get apple secure video to stream on my phone with my VPN turned on, It will show the last image taken by the camera but won’t stream live. I am using NordVPN.

if I turn the VPN off it connects just fine. Everything else on my home network connects fine with the VPN on

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 12:01 PM

HogwartsSchool wrote:

not helpful

If using the VPN means you keep crashing into a brick wall while trying to access platform 9 3/4, you might want to disable the VPN and try accessing the platform again.

If you really want to use that VPN here, contact the VPN provider and request assistance.

But I’m skeptical of the benefits of most commercial VPN add-ons, and I’m concerned about the risks to a user’s privacy.

These add-on VPNs as differentiated from VPNs used to access a private network of an organization the user is affiliated with.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2021 12:01 PM in response to HogwartsSchool

HogwartsSchool wrote:

not helpful

If using the VPN means you keep crashing into a brick wall while trying to access platform 9 3/4, you might want to disable the VPN and try accessing the platform again.

If you really want to use that VPN here, contact the VPN provider and request assistance.

But I’m skeptical of the benefits of most commercial VPN add-ons, and I’m concerned about the risks to a user’s privacy.

These add-on VPNs as differentiated from VPNs used to access a private network of an organization the user is affiliated with.

Aug 14, 2021 11:36 AM in response to HogwartsSchool

There are far easier ways to compromise your own privacy, to log and track and re-sell your online activities including your browsing history, and to do so while using negligible added security due to widespread knowledge of the tunnel credentials.

That in general.

One reason you might be getting blocked here is if your existing and actually-encrypted connections are getting intercepted and decrypted and scanned and then re-encrypted within the VPN connection, too. While there might be other reasons for the failure here (such as fraud detection or password-theft detection), various servers are now detecting SSL/TLS interception, and SSL/TLS itself is being updated to make these sorts of connection interception operations more difficult.

Specifically with NordVPN:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/21/20925065/nordvpn-server-breach-vpn-traffic-exposed-encryption

https://thehackernews.com/2019/10/nordvpn-data-breach.html

Given the wide knowledge of the VPN credentials, I wouldn’t expect all that much added security over the SSL/TLS connections already in use for your secure connections.

I can’t get apple secure video to stream on my phone with my VPN turned on, It will show the last image taken by the camera but won’t stream live. I am using NordVPN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.