Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicate Logic Session without copying Audio file?

Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on my first feature film, and I am running into some workflow/organisational issues with Logic. I am creating a session per cue, but every time I do a save as into another folder, Logic copies out the dialogue audio track (which is 2gb by itself). It happens even when I untick the copy audio files save as option. The movie files does not get copied and is the same file throughout the different sessions.

I also tried to save a new version after I deleted that dialogue track, and then import it from the previous version. The problem with it is that when I do a tempo change for instance, the audio gets out of sync with the video file (even when SMPTE lock is on). I'm guessing that it would happened as it is linked to the previous session.

Is there a way to create duplicates of a session (1 cue per session) without copying the audio track? But rather have a single dialogue track working as a "master file" for all sessions at different TC (Like the video file is doing at the moment)? It would just get unnecessary big to have that 2gb file get duplicated 40 plus times.

Thanks a lot for your replies!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 2:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 5:28 AM

Hi,

I think I get what you are trying to do.

The workflow I use to prevent the duplication of audio files is as follows while having variations of a project.

1) Save a version as a "Folder" ( as opposed to a Package ). Call this the Parent Project.

2) With each milestone I do a "Save As" and increment a version number in the file name, uncheck "Audio" and set the save to location the same folder as the parent project. NOTE: The trick is by saving to the same location as the parent the audio will not get copied since it uses the existing audio folder. If you save to a different location the audio will get copied.

Result: You end up with incremental versions of the project in a folder with a common "Audio" folder while not duplication audio files. Others may prefer Track Alternatives for this purpose but this workflow is fast and provides protection from the occasional Logic file corruption.

If I am going to do any destructive edits on the audio I will do a "bounce in place" (on a region) and work on a duplicate region.

Hope this helps

( If this was helpful please mark as such or mark as solved if that is the case ) 

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2021 5:28 AM in response to JSZmusic

Hi,

I think I get what you are trying to do.

The workflow I use to prevent the duplication of audio files is as follows while having variations of a project.

1) Save a version as a "Folder" ( as opposed to a Package ). Call this the Parent Project.

2) With each milestone I do a "Save As" and increment a version number in the file name, uncheck "Audio" and set the save to location the same folder as the parent project. NOTE: The trick is by saving to the same location as the parent the audio will not get copied since it uses the existing audio folder. If you save to a different location the audio will get copied.

Result: You end up with incremental versions of the project in a folder with a common "Audio" folder while not duplication audio files. Others may prefer Track Alternatives for this purpose but this workflow is fast and provides protection from the occasional Logic file corruption.

If I am going to do any destructive edits on the audio I will do a "bounce in place" (on a region) and work on a duplicate region.

Hope this helps

( If this was helpful please mark as such or mark as solved if that is the case ) 

Aug 15, 2021 10:38 PM in response to JSZmusic

Another option you may want to consider is Project Alternatives under the file menu. Alternatives are fully independent versions of your project. Kind of like a project within a project, but it's easy to switch between them and the version titles are displayed at the tops of windows. I love this feature myself and use it all the time. Don's excellent tip about destructive audio edits still applies.

Cheers,

Lowen

Duplicate Logic Session without copying Audio file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.