Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook using iMac as an External Monitor with Thunderbolt

I am wondering how/if it is possible to use your iMac as an external monitor while using a thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter connected to a MacBook. The Imac I am using is a 2013 and cannot be updated any further past High Sierra (where I am running into some issues). I would love to hear any possibilities of making this work. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 7:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 8:47 AM

Only certain iMac’s models can be used as a display for another Mac.

Likewise only certain older Mac’s can use a supported iMac as a display.

please carefully read > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

In most cases it is more user friendly, more energy efficient and cheaper to just get an aftermarket external display for the MacBook.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2021 8:47 AM in response to ImactoMacbook

Only certain iMac’s models can be used as a display for another Mac.

Likewise only certain older Mac’s can use a supported iMac as a display.

please carefully read > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

In most cases it is more user friendly, more energy efficient and cheaper to just get an aftermarket external display for the MacBook.

Aug 15, 2021 2:39 PM in response to den.thed

Remember that what your are trying to do, Target Display Mode, has been harder to use since Thunderbolt cable replaced mini-display ports and cables, so it has not been a slam-duck even on supported computers. A standard external monitor also allows extended desktop; Target Display Mode only mirrors.

The costs of Thunderbolt cabling and adapters required can exceed the cost of a new flat-panel monitor.

MacBook using iMac as an External Monitor with Thunderbolt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.