Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

temporary data storage

My wife's Samsung S10e android cell phone needs a repair of its screen that came unglued along one edge. Her phone always gets really hot, so I'm guessing the glue couldn't hold up from the battery heat, and perhaps the additional recent 100+ degree ambient temperatures here in the Northwest.

Under Verizon's "insurance" deal, I'm to take the phone to a prescribed shop for repair. But their instructions indicate that I should back up the phone's data to the "Cloud" before the repair tomorrow. Of course the instructions provided a link to Verizon's Cloud where there are several subscription choices, all at some cost.

We don't use enough space that we've ever used any cloud except some minimal (so far) iCloud with my several iPads and newer MacBook Pro, and maybe some Microsoft cloud space somewhere for our old PC-based equipment. Although I've recognized the "access from anywhere" aspect/advantage, I find cloud stuff a bit confusing; but I at least don't see starting down Verizon's subscription road (first 30 days free) just for this phone issue.

• Is there a way for me to connect her phone to my MacBook Pro 16" and somehow transfer or copy her data to a created desktop folder there, and later transfer it back to the repaired phone? If so, I'll appreciate a step by step how-to, keeping in mind I'm no technophile. Or should I be trying to put her stuff temporarily in the iCloud somehow?
  • Her "data" is mostly a few family photos we've taken with the phone and photos or videos a granddaughter has texted of our 15 month-old great granddaughter. There may be "data" of some other sort, perhaps like her personal emoji, or possibly notes or something. I'm just not up on how all that works. Do I have to ferret all that out one data type at a time, or can I just transfer or copy data of all sorts all in one relatively simple move, and later back the same way? Will the android and apple aspects conflict?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 5:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 12:28 PM

Hi Hafcanadian,

Thanks for reaching out using Apple Support Communities. Here to help.

It sounds like you are inquiring if there is a way to backup your Samsung Android phone to your MacBook or iCloud.

Samsung phones utilize the Android operating system, which is a product of Google. Therefore it will be important to ensure you know the Google Account details as this may be needed throughout the process. The following link includes guidance on how to back up with Google.

Back up or restore data on your Android device

We also found more specific instructions from Verizon regarding your device:

Samsung Galaxy S10 - Google Backup and Restore

While you certainly may be able to transfer certain data such as Photos or document files to the MacBook or iCloud, the manufacturer recommended experience would be to back up using Google.

Hope this helps! Take care for now.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2021 12:28 PM in response to Hafcanadian

Hi Hafcanadian,

Thanks for reaching out using Apple Support Communities. Here to help.

It sounds like you are inquiring if there is a way to backup your Samsung Android phone to your MacBook or iCloud.

Samsung phones utilize the Android operating system, which is a product of Google. Therefore it will be important to ensure you know the Google Account details as this may be needed throughout the process. The following link includes guidance on how to back up with Google.

Back up or restore data on your Android device

We also found more specific instructions from Verizon regarding your device:

Samsung Galaxy S10 - Google Backup and Restore

While you certainly may be able to transfer certain data such as Photos or document files to the MacBook or iCloud, the manufacturer recommended experience would be to back up using Google.

Hope this helps! Take care for now.

Aug 27, 2021 7:38 PM in response to barberlives123

To follow up, since the android phone had Google on it, including the Google Drive app, it turned out to be easiest to back up the phone's data to that. So your suggestion was correct and appreciated!

However, as it turns out the phone needed more than a relatively simple screen repair. It's battery was swollen, requiring a whole phone replacement. In that process there is a Samsung feature called Samsung Switch. After a few uneasy minutes, and tries, that went well. By placing the two phones side-by-side and following instructions, all of the old phone's settings and data were transferred via our home WiFi system. Some of it dragged enough to fool me; after a few minutes and thinking it finished but incomplete, I complained to Asurion Chat; but in the midst of that the phones finally finished the transfer - so one needs to be a little patient I reckon.

The backup procedures Verizon brought forth seemed multiple and confusing. They kept steering me to different website pages with different backup procedures... drove me nuts, especially when specific instructions didn't match what was coming up on the phone's screen. I tried to stick to Google's instructions instead, but in places they were intertwined and required some seat of the pants driving to negotiate. If you're not that familiar with such things and terminology it can be daunting - its easy to misinterpret instructions that aren't all designed for lay persons. And if your screen doesn't render a page identical to the one shown in their depiction, you can get really fouled up.

The insurance isn't the greatest in the world... the replacement phone was $239; we've sunk double that in premiums per phone over the 28 months we've owned the S10e's. While on the phone with various reps. from Verizon and Asurion, their insurance carrier/division, every time I got passed to a different tech/rep (about 4 in all) they each ended their session trying to sell me the same Verizon Protect scheme for all my household electronics. I finally got to where I pre-empted that so I didn't have to listen to the spiel again.

Why these phones get so hot I don't know, but they do, and it can't be good for their batteries and circuits. I can't say if iPhones have similar issues.

temporary data storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.