Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No service after iOS 14.7.1 update

I updated my iphone to the current 14.7.1 today and now my phone says No Service even though i pay for Verizon. I’ve tried the following-

Restart network and my iphone

airplane mode on and off

disconnected from cellular data then reconnected, almost anything people have suggested.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 8:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply
30 replies

Aug 18, 2021 11:28 AM in response to glittrsponge

We are in the same boat with one of our phones (an iPhone 8). I’m on the line now with verizon. Have tried everything short of a complete factory reset (SIM card, network reset, settings reset, soft reset, etc). They attempted to do something on their end as well. Was just told “usually if there is a known issue they will let us know of any work around or push through a fix right away.” Not sure if they believe it is a issue with just me or a more global concern? I’ll update if I find out any info. Please do the same!

Aug 21, 2021 4:38 PM in response to DC_40

I did this and also had an apple genius reset the phone..

Left the store with a working phone but later that night the nightmare continued...

What's crazy is when you call apple support, no one has a clue that this is going on!! It's really baffling.

I'm now roughly 2 weeks without my Iphone 11 Pro and Apple Store's only solution is to buy a new phone lmao

Aug 25, 2021 6:31 PM in response to glittrsponge

I know that this probably doesn't help and to be honest, I am not sure what to make of it. But here goes ...

I had a similar problem with my XS (and my wife's XS Max) after the 14.7.1 update. In my (home) office, zero bars, no cell service. If I moved about the house, I could sometimes get one bar. Elsewhere around town, I would usually get one bar, but some drops. My wife got so aggravated that she switched on WiFi Calling and called it a day. Me, I went through all of the suggested remedies including factory reset, to no avail. As a desperate last gasp I switched from T-Mobile to AT&T. I popped in the new SIM, powered back up and after AT&T did their network thing, viola, 3 - 4 bars everywhere. Unbelievable. So I just put in the order to switch my wife's line over to AT&T. Even though T-Mobile had an awesome plan (two lines of unlimited plus hotspot for $70 a month), it's not much good if you can't get cell service. I should also say that I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile last fall to take advantage of the price/plan -- less than half of what I was paying for my AT&T plan, and that I never got really good cell service from T-Mobile (I live in kind of a rural area outside of a major metro city). But until this last update, I was at least getting consistent (one bar) cell service.

Aug 25, 2021 6:42 PM in response to glittrsponge

Hello! I have a similar problem! My husband's XR phone was working perfectly until the latest update to 14.7.1, which has disabled the wifi. We are not able to turn it on, as if the button for the wifi has been disabled. For a temporary fix, we were able to reset network settings (under the phone's general settings), and that worked on and off for about a day (but we had to reset the network several times throughout the day.) Now even that is not working.

We've never experienced this problem before the latest update, and all of our other devices are working perfectly still. Thanks!

Aug 26, 2021 12:52 PM in response to cam30era

Exact same issue and phone, plus I have the added fun of my phone constantly rebooting. Can’t get any more than one bar on WiFi or 5G, no calls come in or out. Have done ALL of the recommendations, router firmware, reset settings, hard reboot, etc. I’ve read that you can’t even go back to a working version of IOS. Apparently all of the rocket scientist that create this software are too busy working on Bezos space program. REALLY disappointed that my phone is no longer a phone. Please get a fix out SOON.

Aug 26, 2021 12:55 PM in response to Roberts63

What would Bezos have to do with this? Your issue sounds like a hardware issue is plaguing your iPhone unless you think everyone with an iPhone 12 around the world is having this issue and no one noticed. Apple can't fix what they don't know about, click on the Get Support link at the top right of this page, they can diagnose your iPhone remotely. Even from space.

Aug 26, 2021 1:11 PM in response to deggie

Deggie this issue is not hardware related. It's plaguing different generations of iphones all over the world. Look up "14.7.1 No service bug" and you'll see what I mean. Obviously it hasn't affected EVERY SINGLE phone on earth.. but I can assure you there are thousands of people affected. At the moment if you are under warranty, apple will simply replace your phone in store rather than admit there's a problem with the update. If you are no longer under warranty, then good luck because you'll have to pay for a replacement.

Aug 26, 2021 1:15 PM in response to CarlosZun

Sorry, but you can look up just about anything on the internet and get responses.

If it is not a global bug it is much, much, much harder for engineers to fix. They rely on collecting information from people who have the problem. If you have contacted Apple Support and made them aware of your problem good for you. You are part of the solution. If you have not you are part of the problem. You can either be proactive or you can wait for iOS 14.8 and hope it fixes your issue.

Aug 26, 2021 3:18 PM in response to deggie

Sorry, should not have injected sarcasm on such a serious site. Rocket scientist was being used in a derogatory manner in that the smart people “rocket scientist” may all be working at the Amazon space program and no smart people are left to work on mundane code that makes iPhones actually work like a phone. This definitely happened after the last IOS update and is affecting many users/phone types, hence not a hardware issue, (sarcasm alert) unless Apple has a self destruct function that forced all of these different phones to suddenly stop working at the same time. I do remember when Apple slowed down older phones when new products were on the horizon, but that wouldn’t explain why newer phones are being turned into paperweights with 14.7.1.

Aug 26, 2021 4:58 PM in response to Roberts63

Other people have injected funny sarcasm on the site that was relevant, yours was neither and if you have to explain your joke it really isn't very good.

Lot's of things happen after every update and some people have problems. If you don't believe me you can search for them for every version of iPhoneOS and iOS. I only recall one that actually did seriously impact everyone and that was back with version 3. No service problems not only affect many users/phone types but if you go on other sites you will find it impacts every type of smartphone. And there are many variables involved. Your statement does not prove that some people are not having a hardware issue. But most likely there are multiple issues and they clearly are not impacting the overwhelming vast majority of iPhone users. So in order for Apple's programmers to fix the problem they have to hear from people who have the problem. They may even ask some users to put a profile on their phone to track what is happening. So to do this you have to contact Apple Support.

Your memory is a little bit skewed, perhaps you need to up the ginkgo biloba. They did not slow down older phones to sell new models that were coming out. They did use code that they, and others, had long used on laptops to slow down speeds to preserve a failing battery and prevent the device crashing without warning. In my opinion they should have told everyone this when they did it but that was Apple's choice. You can now see when this happens and choose to turn it off.

So be part of the solution and contact Apple Support or just wait for updates until they happen to hit your problem. From your description I still think you have a hardware issue and since you have an iPhone 12 series you are still under warranty.

Aug 26, 2021 5:34 PM in response to deggie

Thank you sage of apple discussions forum. I didn’t hear anything that sounded like a solution only a defense of Apple touched with a very small bit of wit. Your are truly the master of this Universe. Last time I’ll be on here, I’m sure I’ll be missed. Keep up the good fight deggie your keen insight and speculations are what keep these discussions riveting and alive.

Aug 26, 2021 5:46 PM in response to Roberts63

Consider the possibility that users of the forum at level 6 and above no things that you don’t, and also have access to Apple internal resources. We have been advised to contact Apple support for this problem, using the Get Support link at the top of this page, as deggie told you. You are certainly free to ignore that device, but if you wait until your warranty expires it may cost you to get it fixed.

And if you didn’t hear anything that sounded like a solution you apparently didn’t have anyone read deggie’s last paragraph to you.

No service after iOS 14.7.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.