Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music.app continues to repeat in spite of Repeat button being off.

The Music app and iTunes refuses to play one song only. It will repeat the same song if the icon shows Repeat1, but otherwise it moves on to another song even if the Repeat icon is off. There is no difference between the Repeat icon being on or off - it will never stop at the end of a song.

This is true on all my devices - not only my phone and iPads (iOS 14.7.1) but also iTunes on PC and iTunes on my iMac.

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 6:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 5:50 AM

OK. I just talked to Apple support. The behavior as described is by design. In short, there is NO WAY to play a single song and then stop. I'm a musician, and I want to play one song then stop - but that is impossible, currently. Here's what they say: With the Repeat1 icon highlighted it will play the same one song over and over again. With the Repeat icon highlighted, it will continue to play another song from the Playlist or Library, and when ALL have been played it will start over again. It will never ever stop. With the Repeat icon OFF (not highlighted), it will continue to play another song from the Playlist or Library, until that Playlist or Library has been exhausted at which point it will stop.

So now, this is my workaround to play a single song then stop: I create a playlist with only that one song in it, and disable the Repeat icon. What a pain.

If you want Apple to allow Music to play a single song then stop, please go to https://www.apple.com/feedback/apple-music.html and let them know. Here's what I said to them:

"Please modify the Repeat function to allow Music to stop playing at the end of the current song. Currently it is impossible to have Music play one song then stop. (It either repeats the one song or continues to play the entire playlist or library.) This is irritating to musicians like myself because we must stop what we are doing to stop the player when the song ends."

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2021 5:50 AM in response to PD51

OK. I just talked to Apple support. The behavior as described is by design. In short, there is NO WAY to play a single song and then stop. I'm a musician, and I want to play one song then stop - but that is impossible, currently. Here's what they say: With the Repeat1 icon highlighted it will play the same one song over and over again. With the Repeat icon highlighted, it will continue to play another song from the Playlist or Library, and when ALL have been played it will start over again. It will never ever stop. With the Repeat icon OFF (not highlighted), it will continue to play another song from the Playlist or Library, until that Playlist or Library has been exhausted at which point it will stop.

So now, this is my workaround to play a single song then stop: I create a playlist with only that one song in it, and disable the Repeat icon. What a pain.

If you want Apple to allow Music to play a single song then stop, please go to https://www.apple.com/feedback/apple-music.html and let them know. Here's what I said to them:

"Please modify the Repeat function to allow Music to stop playing at the end of the current song. Currently it is impossible to have Music play one song then stop. (It either repeats the one song or continues to play the entire playlist or library.) This is irritating to musicians like myself because we must stop what we are doing to stop the player when the song ends."

Music.app continues to repeat in spite of Repeat button being off.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.