Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Several apps will not update on iPhone 6 with iOS 12.5.4

Using an iPhone 6 with iOS 12.5.4, the apps in the list below fail to update. When I attempt to update any of them, the update appears to download but the progress status reverts to an UPDATE button. If I delete the currently installed version of the app and attempt to install the version available from the AppStore, the app appears to download to the device but installation does not appear to complete. The app appears on the Home screen but is unresponsive (does not start). The progress indicator for the app in the AppStore does not complete and the provided "stop" button is unresponsive. If I delete the unresponsive app, the progress indicator in the AppStore reverts to the download icon. I have restarted the iPhone more than once but the behavior persists.

Affected apps:

• Amazon Music: Songs & Podcasts
  • Brave Private Web Browser, VPN
  • IMDb: Movies & TV Shows
  • Walmart - Shopping & Grocery

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 7:26 AM

14 replies

Aug 18, 2021 8:49 AM in response to ooounohu

Just tried to update several of the non updatable apps again. It seems that Apple is aware of the problem and is working on a fix. For two of the apps awaiting an update, I just got the notification that the update requires iOS 13.4 or 14.0, respectively. I am offered to download the latest compatible version instead. Unfortunately this does not work in my case. Maybe because the latest compatible version is already installed. Reading the other comments about losing apps after uninstalling and not being able to reinstall, you maybe should give it another try later.

Aug 18, 2021 1:01 AM in response to ooounohu

Same Problem here on an iPad Air with iOS 12.5.4. I have 6 apps, that will not update (e.g. Netflix, Amazon Music) but I also had "Skype for iPad" updating without problems yesterday. Seems this is an app specific problem. Maybe the app store suddently started offering not applicable updates for devices with iOS 12.5.4.

Aug 19, 2021 4:27 AM in response to Disney321

I get this experience on some apps (i.e. asks if I want a previous version, but does nothing) ... and on others it simply does the download, but fails to install the app.

It's clear the iOS update for 12.5.4 has a bug with regards to downloading compatible versions of apps. It may be a simple as them not telling us there's a new update for some apps.

Regardless, this is becoming a show stopper.

Apple Support, can you help us???

Aug 20, 2021 7:55 AM in response to ChrisForlano

Just found an effective workaround. (I read about it earlier in the week, but it just started working for me this morning.)

”Download older version” from app update still doesn’t work. The msg just pops up over and over.

But ... if I first delete the app, then go into the “Purchased” section of apps I can download an older version of the app. I recommend beginning with an app you already deleted earlier in the week.

To be safe I deleted/reinstalled one app at a time that would not previously update. I had 7 apps that would not update. Happy to report all 7 successfully downloaded an older version after following the above steps.

Hope this helps!

Several apps will not update on iPhone 6 with iOS 12.5.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.