Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't make my computer connect to my phones internet sharing automatically

Where I live, I don't have WiFi but rely on internet sharing from my phone for accesing the internet on my computer. 

My work computer is a PC running Windows 10, and this machine connects automatically to my phones internet, when it is within reach. I've always wondered why my Macbook can't do the same thing. Ticking the “connect automatically” box in Network Settings does not seem to solve this. Is there a way to fix this? 

I own a 2015 MBP and an Iphone SE (2020 Model). I am running the latest version of both operating systems. 

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 9:07 AM

Thanks for getting back to us, S_Stocke.

In that case we would recommend taking a look at your Advanced Network Preferences and be sure that your hotspot is set at the top of the list of preferred networks and that "Auto-Join" is checked. The support article below will tell you how to access your Advanced settings to check for this.

Change Wi-Fi preferences on Mac

We hope this helps.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2021 9:07 AM in response to S_Stocke

Thanks for getting back to us, S_Stocke.

In that case we would recommend taking a look at your Advanced Network Preferences and be sure that your hotspot is set at the top of the list of preferred networks and that "Auto-Join" is checked. The support article below will tell you how to access your Advanced settings to check for this.

Change Wi-Fi preferences on Mac

We hope this helps.

Aug 17, 2021 7:33 AM in response to S_Stocke

Hi there S_Stocke,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand you're having some difficulties getting your Mac to automatically connect to your iPhone hotspot. So when joining your hotspot on your Mac, does it prompt you to enter your password before joining the network? If so, we'd recommend taking a look and following the steps in the support article below which will walk you through creating an Instant Hotspot. This will bypass the need for your enter your hotspot password and hopefully now be able to automatically connect.

Use Instant Hotspot to connect to your Personal Hotspot without entering a password

Take care.

I can't make my computer connect to my phones internet sharing automatically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.