Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activity Monitor and overheating

In my MacBook Pro’s OSX 10.15.7 Activity Monitor, there is a process called ‘deleted’ which is causing an inordinate amount of  CPU use (over 150%) and for up to 20 minutes, causing my MacBook Pro to dangerously overheat.

Any ideas, and should I be worried?

Roy P

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 9:17 PM

That process manages some of the caches on the computer. You can start by booting into Safe Mode, because that cleans out some caches.

There are also reports in the past of various programs that can cause this process to run amok. Including older versions of utilities like iStat (which is supposed to have been fixed). So it might be related to something you installed. Have you installed any monitoring, optimizing, etc. software?

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2021 9:17 PM in response to Roy Preston

That process manages some of the caches on the computer. You can start by booting into Safe Mode, because that cleans out some caches.

There are also reports in the past of various programs that can cause this process to run amok. Including older versions of utilities like iStat (which is supposed to have been fixed). So it might be related to something you installed. Have you installed any monitoring, optimizing, etc. software?

Activity Monitor and overheating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.