Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Saving Office for MAC Docs

I just had data migrated from my old iMac which was operating Catalina to the new iMac with the M1 chip and Big Sur. I had been using a purchsed copy of Office for Mac. and storing my files on the iMac but mostly in iCloud. When I opened a Excel document on my new iMac and edited it, I was unable to save it. Both the Save and Save As options are greyed out, as is the saved icon in the ribbon bar. In fact, I can't even close it without choosing the don't save option. Same thing with new docs. I can create but not save. I gave a yahoo email address when I bought the Office program, and it now appears that Yahoo/Microsoft somehow wants me to use OneDrive for cloud storage. I do not want to use OneDrive.

How can edit old documents and save new ones?

I contacted Apple Support, and they said it is a Microsoft problem, but I do not agree since these difficulties anly arose when I had the data migrated.

iMac 24″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 1:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 1:51 PM

Have you done the following:

Store your Desktop and Documents folders in iCloud Drive

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click Apple ID, select iCloud in the sidebar, then click Options next to iCloud Drive.
  2. If you don’t see Options next to iCloud Drive, make sure iCloud Drive is turned on.
  3. Select Desktop & Documents Folders.
  4. Click Done.

After you select Desktop & Documents Folders, your Desktop and Documents folders are moved into iCloud Drive. They also appear in the iCloud Drive section of the Finder sidebar.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2021 1:51 PM in response to lelb

Have you done the following:

Store your Desktop and Documents folders in iCloud Drive

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click Apple ID, select iCloud in the sidebar, then click Options next to iCloud Drive.
  2. If you don’t see Options next to iCloud Drive, make sure iCloud Drive is turned on.
  3. Select Desktop & Documents Folders.
  4. Click Done.

After you select Desktop & Documents Folders, your Desktop and Documents folders are moved into iCloud Drive. They also appear in the iCloud Drive section of the Finder sidebar.

Saving Office for MAC Docs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.