Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spinning wheel when trying to create playlist

I know how to create a new playlist on Apple Music however when I click on DONE the spinning wheel begins and the playlist will not create. Most likely a bug associated with the new iOS

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 8:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 10:13 PM

Hmm! That's really odd. I just tried on my iPhone 12 Pro Max, and I'm definitely not able to reproduce this. Here's a few things to try.

• From your home screen, open Settings.
  • At the very top of the screen, tap on your name/Apple ID.
  • Scroll all the way to the very bottom of this screen, and tap on sign out, then go ahead and do so.
  • Make sure that any items you want to keep on your phone like calendars, reminders, contacts, etc are switched on, if it asks what to keep. Also note, that you might have to disable Find My before you can sign out. Be sure before doing this that you know your Apple iD and password. Do *NOT!!!* under any circumstances post them here, but just be sure you know them in the back of your own head mentally.
  • Be sure if you have 2-step verification enabled that you have another trusted device on hand before signing out, as you'll need something to get the 6 digit code sent to you for verification. Otherwise, if you don't have that enabled, then you should be just fine.
  • Now, under Settings, tap near the top of the screen to sign back into your Apple ID, and enter all necessary information as prompted.
  • Now, try again.

If this still doesn't work, close the Music app entirely from the app switcher. I'm totally blind, and use Voiceover exclusively, so the process with Voiceover is a bit different for doing this than it is for someone sighted not using voiceover, so I'll let someone else respond and instruct you on how to do that, if you don't know already. Once the music app is closed, quickly press the volume up key and release, then immediately after, press the volume down key quickly on the left side of the phone, then release, then press and hold the long side button on the right side of the phone. Keep the side button held until the screen goes blank, then you see the Apple logo appear. Then once you see the Apple, let go of the right side button, and let your phone boot as usual. What this does essentially is to clear the cache memory in the phone. That sounds real scarey, I know, but trust me, it's not, i promise. You shouldn't lose any data doing this, but as always, I will say the same as Apple: make sure you have an iCloud backup, just in case something goes kur splat awri.

Now, after doing this and rebooting, open up the Music app again, and let's try to see if it works.

Finally, a few questions:

You said the latest new iOS. I'm a little confused, as there hasn't been a new update now for a few weeks, almost going on a month or more. Are you referring to 14.7.1, or are you on the beta? If the beta, then I'm not sure we can discuss that here through these community channels, so I won't comment further on that until someone verifies either way what the rules are with that here. It would be extremely helpful not just to know it's the new iOS," but to also know very specifically what iOS version we're dealing with.

You can get this under Settings>About. Then look at the software version, and let us know.

Also, you don't have to give exacts by any means, but at least can you tell us what country you're in? I ask this, as it may be isolated to a particular Apple music server region. It's doubtful, but anything's [possible, I suppose.

Also, are you doing this on wifi, or cellular data? If wifi, can you temporarily shut off wifi under Settings>Wifi, then try, and see if you have the same results?

Let me know if I, or others can be of further help with this. I know how frustrating this has gotta be, as music is also my life, so believe me: I totally can empathize with you. I feel your pain!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2021 10:13 PM in response to rosolanko

Hmm! That's really odd. I just tried on my iPhone 12 Pro Max, and I'm definitely not able to reproduce this. Here's a few things to try.

• From your home screen, open Settings.
  • At the very top of the screen, tap on your name/Apple ID.
  • Scroll all the way to the very bottom of this screen, and tap on sign out, then go ahead and do so.
  • Make sure that any items you want to keep on your phone like calendars, reminders, contacts, etc are switched on, if it asks what to keep. Also note, that you might have to disable Find My before you can sign out. Be sure before doing this that you know your Apple iD and password. Do *NOT!!!* under any circumstances post them here, but just be sure you know them in the back of your own head mentally.
  • Be sure if you have 2-step verification enabled that you have another trusted device on hand before signing out, as you'll need something to get the 6 digit code sent to you for verification. Otherwise, if you don't have that enabled, then you should be just fine.
  • Now, under Settings, tap near the top of the screen to sign back into your Apple ID, and enter all necessary information as prompted.
  • Now, try again.

If this still doesn't work, close the Music app entirely from the app switcher. I'm totally blind, and use Voiceover exclusively, so the process with Voiceover is a bit different for doing this than it is for someone sighted not using voiceover, so I'll let someone else respond and instruct you on how to do that, if you don't know already. Once the music app is closed, quickly press the volume up key and release, then immediately after, press the volume down key quickly on the left side of the phone, then release, then press and hold the long side button on the right side of the phone. Keep the side button held until the screen goes blank, then you see the Apple logo appear. Then once you see the Apple, let go of the right side button, and let your phone boot as usual. What this does essentially is to clear the cache memory in the phone. That sounds real scarey, I know, but trust me, it's not, i promise. You shouldn't lose any data doing this, but as always, I will say the same as Apple: make sure you have an iCloud backup, just in case something goes kur splat awri.

Now, after doing this and rebooting, open up the Music app again, and let's try to see if it works.

Finally, a few questions:

You said the latest new iOS. I'm a little confused, as there hasn't been a new update now for a few weeks, almost going on a month or more. Are you referring to 14.7.1, or are you on the beta? If the beta, then I'm not sure we can discuss that here through these community channels, so I won't comment further on that until someone verifies either way what the rules are with that here. It would be extremely helpful not just to know it's the new iOS," but to also know very specifically what iOS version we're dealing with.

You can get this under Settings>About. Then look at the software version, and let us know.

Also, you don't have to give exacts by any means, but at least can you tell us what country you're in? I ask this, as it may be isolated to a particular Apple music server region. It's doubtful, but anything's [possible, I suppose.

Also, are you doing this on wifi, or cellular data? If wifi, can you temporarily shut off wifi under Settings>Wifi, then try, and see if you have the same results?

Let me know if I, or others can be of further help with this. I know how frustrating this has gotta be, as music is also my life, so believe me: I totally can empathize with you. I feel your pain!

Spinning wheel when trying to create playlist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.