Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Soundflower on Big Sur finally dead?

I was successfully using Soundflower for a while on Big Sur (as reported by others too ex. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252077657). However, I noticed recently that Soundflower disappeared from my Audio/MIDI setup, and tried re-installing it. Curiously, it does succeed now (when it previously used to fail, but worked anyway), BUT, now it does not work. Nothing appears in Audio/MIDI setup.

I'm trying out BlackHole now, which seems to do the same thing...

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 4:27 PM

no, i actually found that BH is of equal sound quality. i've been using it for ~8 months and i haven't encountered any issues with it at all. and it should last for quite a while because it's not a kext. apple has said they are dropping support for all of them sooner than later.

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 17, 2021 2:40 PM in response to KalK

you are correct in guessing that BH works the way you used soundflower. but unlike soundflower, BH is NOT a kernel extension. it is even compatible with the M1 macs. i used to use soundflower too. but many people were having issues installing it on big sur. and since i was not comfortable recommending BH without myself using it, i made the transition earlier this year. :)

Soundflower on Big Sur finally dead?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.