Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't see MainStage/Logic instruments in GarageBand

I recently purchased MainStage (Version 3.5.2) primarily so I would have the MainStage/Logic instruments available in GarageBand. (Version 10.4.3 running on Big Sur - 11.3.1) I downloaded the MainStage sound library when prompted (9 hours, and after 3 failures I realized I had to be available when the download finished to provide the admin password for installation or the installer would timeout quickly and I had start all over again !). I confirmed in MainStage that the instruments were downloaded and available but can't see them in GarageBand. I hit: GarageBand -> Sound Libraru -> Reinstall Sound Library (another 7 hours but at least the installer waited for me in this case). But that had no effect.

I noticed that the MainStage/Logic instruments appear to reside in /Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments but nowhere under /Audio or Library/Application Support/GarageBand (and there are no links).

Any suggestions appreciated, e.g. do I need to copy the files from /Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments to /Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Instruments ?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 31, 2021 4:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2021 6:15 PM

I've resolved this issue. I called Apple Support and Richard at Apple Support informed me that just hitting Sound Library -> Download All Available Sounds isn't sufficient re. getting the legacy instrument libraries that can be shared by GarageBand from MainStage (even though it's a huge download - ~ 35 GB - and makes it seem like you're getting everything !). It turns out that to get the legacy libraries you need to open a project in MainStage then go to Sound Library -> Open Sound Library Manager. Then in the Sound Library Manager window, click the "Legacy and Compatibility" box, then hit the Install Button (i.e. the Legacy and Compatibility library isn't installed when you "Download All Available Sounds" and install the libraries therein). Thanks to Richard at Apple for resolving this issue for me.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2021 6:15 PM in response to kyoung21b

I've resolved this issue. I called Apple Support and Richard at Apple Support informed me that just hitting Sound Library -> Download All Available Sounds isn't sufficient re. getting the legacy instrument libraries that can be shared by GarageBand from MainStage (even though it's a huge download - ~ 35 GB - and makes it seem like you're getting everything !). It turns out that to get the legacy libraries you need to open a project in MainStage then go to Sound Library -> Open Sound Library Manager. Then in the Sound Library Manager window, click the "Legacy and Compatibility" box, then hit the Install Button (i.e. the Legacy and Compatibility library isn't installed when you "Download All Available Sounds" and install the libraries therein). Thanks to Richard at Apple for resolving this issue for me.

Can't see MainStage/Logic instruments in GarageBand

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.