Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failure to download data or send messages

My iPhone 12 Pro suddenly won't send text messages or download data, like weather info. It all started when I was using someone else's WiFi network, but I got the same result when I returned home and was using my own WiFi network. The connection to my home WiFi network using other devices works fine. I've switched the phone off/on with no effect.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 8:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 8:42 PM

trapplebee Said:

"Failure to download data or send messages: My iPhone 12 Pro suddenly won't send text messages or download data, like weather info. It all started when I was using someone else's WiFi network, but I got the same result when I returned home and was using my own WiFi network. The connection to my home WiFi network using other devices works fine. I've switched the phone off/on with no effect."

-------

Reset All Network Settings to Default:

Example of items that will be reset: (Wi-Fi Passwords, VPN Connections, etc)

1. Go To: Settings
  2. Tap: General
  3. Tap: Reset
  4. Tap: Reset Network Settings.
  5. Enter: [Your Passcode]
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2021 8:42 PM in response to trapplebee

trapplebee Said:

"Failure to download data or send messages: My iPhone 12 Pro suddenly won't send text messages or download data, like weather info. It all started when I was using someone else's WiFi network, but I got the same result when I returned home and was using my own WiFi network. The connection to my home WiFi network using other devices works fine. I've switched the phone off/on with no effect."

-------

Reset All Network Settings to Default:

Example of items that will be reset: (Wi-Fi Passwords, VPN Connections, etc)

1. Go To: Settings
  2. Tap: General
  3. Tap: Reset
  4. Tap: Reset Network Settings.
  5. Enter: [Your Passcode]

Sep 13, 2021 7:52 PM in response to REB53

REB53 Said:

"I don't think you are providing a solid answer. As I said, my daughter and spouse and myself all have the same iPhone and carrier so why would it not be happening to their phones too?"

-------

I. About these Forums:

First off, I am an everyday Apple user, just like you. These are user-to-user forums. I'm giving you my own feedback, based on prior experiences. No one here works for Apple.

II. More on Troubleshooting This:

A. Try Performing a Restart:

Try Force Restarting your iPhone. Save any information that need be. Then perform the restart.

Go Here: Force Restart iPhone - Apple Support

B Try a New iCloud Login Session:

If it is not happening on their photos, too, then perform a new iCloud session. Perhaps it all needs to resync. You would log out of iCloud on all devices, and then back in. Do this in Settings > Tap the Top Item (your name) > Proceed form there with the log out.

C. Try Clearing Space:

If you are not receiving items, then there may just not be enough space to send it. This would affect the operating of sending items because data resources would be swollen up, so to speak.

A. Clear Temporary Internet Files:

Clear your Temporary Internet Files(Cookies & Cache) of Safari:

Also...

B. Clean TV and Music Libraries:

Remove all unneeded files from your TV and Music Libraries. Full-Movies take up 2-4GB typically, and a bunch of those would take up a load of storage, ideally. So, if you have any movies that are not needed, then delete them.

Also...

C. Clear "Other":

Clear the storage named "Other". It basically contains unnecessary files such as caches that are used for system ease of use - all of which gather over time: How to Clear "Other" in your iPhone's Storage - Use Backup - User Tips. Caches would be being used for remembrance of application use.

Sep 13, 2021 6:42 PM in response to REB53

REB53 Said:

"My daughter sent a jpg and apparently one of the heic files in Messages. My wife and I both have the same iphone XR and she gets the photos but I do not! i tried rebooting, tried Reset of Network settings but nothing brings in the pictures sent. What else can I do to fix this problem?"

-------

Where to Go from Here:

Contact your Carrier, as they are the one who provide you with the service of Cellular. Items are not being sent nor received on certain devices. So, make sure you have the services to send/receive attachments, when it comes to Messages.

Failure to download data or send messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.