Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My 0.5x lens is not working on my iPhone 12 pro Max

The default camera app takes 1 picture, which has a long delay before actually loading the picture into 'photos', and after that, no other pictures will save until I reset the app. The shutter still clicks, nothing happens though. If I use a 3rd party camera app, I can take as many pictures as I want with no delay. This caused me to inspect further and it appears there's an issue with the 0.5x lens. Any and every time I try to use that lens, everything goes blurry and my camera stops working. I get the same result in camera mode and video mode. Why?

I already tried everything the other 'discussions' and articles suggested. So far it has been a huge waste of time, resetting all of my settings, then having to set up my apple pay and passwords all over, then wiping my phone, and once again, setting everything back up all over again(this time taking longer because my data has to restore from a backup). I waited a year to get this phone to make sure all the kinks would be ironed out. Why in 2021 is this still an issue? I have a super heavy-duty case on my phone from the day I bought it and take great care of it, so this shouldn't be related to a fall or moisture. It just stopped working. Honestly, I don't mind getting it replaced but what's to prevent this from happening again? I'm a pretty patient person but doing 3 full reinstalls is my limit.

Posted on Aug 18, 2021 4:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2021 4:43 AM

Hello,

See these steps for a possible solution:

1) Start here: If the camera or flash on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch isn't working

2) Are you low on local storage: How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

3) Remove the case and try again

4) Have it checked: Apple - Find Locations

Good luck.

Similar questions

2 replies

Aug 18, 2021 6:02 AM in response to MrBill3

Thank you for your help and response. I did try all of these, to no avail. I also found this while searching. Hopefully, this link will help others with the same issue because I had to do some digging to find this info (should have been easier to find or hosted/supported answer by Apple). Seems like since iPhone 11, the cameras have become more fragile and can just break on their own. This is exactly what I was afraid of, I don't want to have to make multiple trips to the apple store for a new phone every 1-2 months. Seems like the cameras can break just from average use. I'm very gentle with the technology I own, I still have all my old phones in good condition. So for anyone that this happens to, it may not be your fault, just cheap equipment with a low threshold for wear and tear, similar to the Nintendo Switch Joycon.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251940537

In that discussion one of the replies reads:

"

Oct 23, 2020 7:08 PM in response to 10olcese

I have the same issue, happened out of the blue today. Wide angle and zoom lenses are not working anymore. Lenses just disappeared. I can only use the 1x zoom. And you are right, seems like a common issue on IPhone 11 pro models. I found many posts on this forum and Reddit about this issue. Looks like iPhone 11 has faulty cameras. And they just stop working. Seems like Apple replaces the phone if you take it there since it’s a hardware issue. Some people even complain having the same issue on their replaced phones and get it replaced once more. Seem like your only option is to take it to App Store and get that replaced. I have an appointment on Thursday. No other fix really. However I realized mine happened right after the newest update. My phone is 3 months old...

if you search the forum you will find countless posts about this issue. Looks like it all started around April. It’s the same exact issue for all of us. Someone’s explanation was that all 3 cameras al linked and once one dies it messes all up and we get the 2x camera as default and we loose the 0.5 all together.

whatever is the issue, resetting, updating, going back to factory settings doesn’t work. I even deleted everything and started the phone without a backup to have a complete virgin phone and still have the issue. So most likely iPhone 11 cameras

are very fragile and stops working after a while and requires you to get a replacement. "

My 0.5x lens is not working on my iPhone 12 pro Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.