Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cable identification

Hi,

This feels like such a silly question but none the less, what cable is this? I thought it was a USB-A "extender" ie it plugs into the USB port on my Mac and allows me to then plug in a USB key without having to go the the back of the computer every time. But, I can't seem to get the USB to fit in to the cable. After some investigating it seems that there is this triangle shaped piece that is preventing the plugging in. This all leads me to believe that this is not what I origiannnly thought. Thus, I have 2 questions:

1) what is this cable for?

2) what cable can I get to plug into my USB port at the back of the computer which allows me to plug a flash drive in on the opposite side.

Thanks,

Posted on Aug 18, 2021 9:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2021 9:54 AM

Those old Apple USB keyboard extension cables had a notch that only allowed the old Apple USB keyboards to be plugged into them.

It you want or need an extension cable, then you will need to find an aftermarket one or better yet, just get and use a USB Hub.

4 replies

Cable identification

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.