You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3 problems with Mac Mini M1

I hit the jackpot and my Mac Mini M1 is displaying all 3 known issues.

1. second monitor going black/pink/disconnect time to time. Turning separate space function off seems like it helps but it makes two screen set up unusable for me.
  2. slow wifi. Signal is strong and wifi works fine on other devices. But not on Mac Mini.
  3. Bluetooth devices don’t connect properly or it stutters.

I called Applecare support and the rep I talked to said I am the first one that have all three issues all together.

i should go out and buy a lottery.

i am deciding to exchange it but not sure if it would resolve these issues.

do you deal with any of these well known issues?

has Apple address any of these issues officially?

Posted on Aug 18, 2021 10:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2021 11:00 AM

Cash out and play different machine.

If it does the same thing, then you can bet it has something to do with your specific environment.

Keep in mind that the Mac Mini’s wireless antenna in built into the bottom cover and things like poorly shielded display and external drive cables, can cause interfere with both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

see > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201542

Also you did not mention what monitors you have or how they are connected to the Mac Mini. (include monitor brands, models, adapters, cables, etc…)

Similar questions

19 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 18, 2021 11:00 AM in response to Torokun

Cash out and play different machine.

If it does the same thing, then you can bet it has something to do with your specific environment.

Keep in mind that the Mac Mini’s wireless antenna in built into the bottom cover and things like poorly shielded display and external drive cables, can cause interfere with both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

see > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201542

Also you did not mention what monitors you have or how they are connected to the Mac Mini. (include monitor brands, models, adapters, cables, etc…)

Aug 22, 2021 10:41 AM in response to lkrupp

I have a 16 GB M1 Mac mini driving three monitors in a flight simulator.

My set up is as follows: X-Plane 11.55.2 on a 16 GB M1 Mac Mini connected

1. To a Dell model 2007 FPS monitor (1600 x 1200 @ 60 Hz via VGA on monitor to VGA/DVI-I adapter to Startech.com USB 3.0 Dual Head Graphics Adapter to USB-C on Mac Mini), and
  2. to a Westinghouse TV model LDD2240 (1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz via HDMI to HDMU), and
  3. to a Flatron W2252TQ (VGA ơn monitor to Belkin VGA/Thunderbolt adapter to Thunderbolt on Mac Mini)

DisplayLink driver from Startech.com was loaded and activated. OS is Big Sur 11.4.  Logitech Saitek Yoke, Power Quadrant, Rudder Pedals, and Radio Stack.  Flight Velocity Pro Trim Wheel.  Mini iPad with ForeFlight is mounted on the yoke and provides GPS position on a map (VFR, IFR, or Satellite).  Another mini iPad with Air Manager V.3.7 from Sim Innovations shows the instrument panel, and allows one to have only external views on the three monitors. I often switch to that view AFTER completing pre-takeoff checklists and getting underway.

Aug 19, 2021 10:49 PM in response to den.thed

I am using Asus PA248 monitors. Primary monitor is connected via HDMI port directly to Mac Mini. Second monitor is also using HDMI cable vial USB C hub (Apple product).

Wifi and Bluetooth issues are somewhat random (although Wifi issues seems like it's happening more).

But the second monitor flickering black issue is pretty consistent. It doesn't happen at first but after a while it start happening time to time.

I think I am returning mine and get it replaced with a new unit for now to see how it works.

Aug 20, 2021 7:08 AM in response to Torokun

Thanks for the monitor info.

Again, thin poorly shielded external drive and display cables can affect both WI-Fi and Bluetooth. Try re-routing all of your cables opposite of your Router and Bluetooth devices to see if that helps. You might also try placing the Mac Mini on it's side with the bottom facing in the direction of Router and/or Bluetooth speaker system to see if that improves the wireless connections.

I would try using a USB-C to DisplayPort cable for the second monitor instead of USB-C to HDMI.

You have 14 days to return it no questions asked. After that, you will have to jump thru hoops to get a replacement.

Aug 20, 2021 9:15 AM in response to den.thed

I would say about 20ft away? Again, none of my other devices are having problems including iPad Pro (M1).

Last night, I only had the black screen flickering about twice. But Wifi was unusable. I coudln’t even sign out of my AppleID acct.

I am returning mine.

BTW, Apple’s Applecare chat/call based service was garbage. Had me pass around between technicians for hours just for me to explain the issue.

Very disappointed. Never experienced something like this with an Apple product before.

:(

Aug 20, 2021 9:27 AM in response to Torokun

Dealing with this issue with Apple has been absolutely horrendous. Couple of technicians were very straight forward with via chatting and at the Genius Bar and just told me to return for replacement.

But others on the chatting and phone… I have been rerouted numbers of times having me explain same situation over and over again. Som offshore chatting technician with questionable comprehension issues… Even today, trying to get the return label going, I had to directly demand several times to just connect me with someone who deals with it because I am done trying things.

I can’t believe this is the level of service I am getting from Apple.

Very disappointed.

Aug 20, 2021 10:40 AM in response to den.thed

Yeah this is first time for me as well. I have been an Apple computer user since Apple IIe. Never had issues like this before.

I have been on the phone for last 2 hours being passed around between dept just to get the return print label working just to find out now I needed a box for whatever info they need from the box.

This is just getting better and better LOL

Aug 20, 2021 11:14 AM in response to Torokun

Nice to meet another long time Mac user. My first was a Macintosh 128K, next was a Performa 6300 CD with printer, then a couple of G3's. My first risky purchase, was a newly released Early 2006 Intel Core Duo and it lasted for years. After that I started collecting Mac Mini's. Currently I have a 2010 and a 2011 upgraded to SSDs that I use as media servers. I also have two 2012 Mac Mini's, one for the wife and one for grandkids, both have SSDs and plenty of RAM. I'm currently using a 2018 Mac Mini 6-Core w/32GB RAM as my main machine. After thinking long and hard, I opted for a space gray 2018 last year instead of the M1, mostly because I run dual displays and use lot of USB devices.

Aug 20, 2021 11:42 AM in response to den.thed

I just got off the phone with Apple (8:30am - 11:40am) being tossed around between dept just to resolve to send me a working shipping label.

My experience with iPad Pro M1 has been so great that I wanted to “upgrade” my desktop as well. I looked up many reviews that gave glowing reviews for Mac Mini. But I failed to look up known issues with it in my excitement. I regret it now. M1 is supposed to be able to handle dual monitor set up (triple monitors if you use Sidecar). But this is a huge set back with me with lost confidence in Apple’s service dept.

I was shocked by how much wifi function was broken last night as you can see the photo above.

Dealing with hours of calls, chatting, Genius Bar visits… Apple seems like more facade now. :(

Aug 22, 2021 10:54 AM in response to SGD-Tralee

I have written an article with full description of the flight simulator mentioned above ( with an M1 Mac mini driving 3 monitors). You can find it in on pages 50-53 of the August/September issue of ‘Midwest Flyer’. I have tried to put the link on this and other threads, but they keep getting deleted. The title of the article is “Fighting Lockdown with a FlightSimulator’.

There may/may not have been a hyphen in the word lock-down in the title.

Aug 25, 2021 7:38 AM in response to Torokun

I have had a Mac Mini M1 16/512 11.5.2 since Dec 20. I went thru all the initial bluetooth issues which were corrected months later with software updates. I find the Wifi to be very good, fast enough and consistent. I have not tested my wifi throughput so it may be going up and down but the feeling is that all is good at all times. In March 21 I added a Netgear Orbi Wifi 6 mesh router with an additional Orbi satellite to replace my 5 yo Fritzbox 7390 wifi routers which were flaky at times and slower (my family constantly nagging me about poor performance) so my wifi at home has improved overall for everyone in the house. My Mac Mini connects to the Netgear wifi network using the fastest Wifi 6 802.11ax protocol.

Now that they have just about sorted out bluetooth connectivity to a high level of usability I now find the bluetooth range to be quite short, I can not move the mouse or keyboard too far away (over 3ft/1M) without experiencing partial or full dropout. I can't lean back in my chair with the keyboard in my lap and expect it to work.

I have experienced some random reboots whilst I was using it, maybe 3 times in the last 2 months. Occasionally when I bring the Mac out of sleep by touching the mouse or kb my Samsung 4K monitor might display an entire screen of bluish & white pixels for 3-4 seconds before displaying the login screen but it is no real problem, just alarming, does not happen often.

Overall, I am still really happy with this Mac Mini, it handles whatever I throw at it including multiple browsers with 30-40 tabs open, 4K security camera feeds all the usual apps like mail, antivirus/antispam, etc. I can flip between any of these apps with no lag and with consistently good wifi/internet. All this in a low power package that makes no noise and is as cheap as chips :)

Aug 30, 2021 3:30 PM in response to Torokun

If you are using the same HDMI cable as before, then you should try a different Premium Certified HDMI cable..

If you are using the same Apple USB-C adapter to HDMI adapter as before then you should exchange or replace it.

Then if that doesn't fix the problem, you should get and try a USB-C to DisplayPort cable with that ASUS Display like I mentioned earlier.

3 problems with Mac Mini M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.