Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't change duration of still image

Hi!

I can't change the duration of a still image (.psd with layers) that I've added to the timeline in Final Cut Pro. I've tried click and drag, as well as ˆd and none changes the duration. When clicking and dragging a red line appears at the end of the clip, as if indicating that it's blocked somehow.

No problems clicking and dragging video clips in the same timeline.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 12:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 3:09 AM

Basically a layered PSD file is treated as a compound clip. You have to go into the clip in the timeline by double clicking it. Extend the duration of the layers there, and then you’ll be able to extend the “compound” in the project.

Similar questions

7 replies

Aug 19, 2021 3:07 AM in response to toblil

I also just noticed that FCP won't accept including only the psd-file in an in/out for export. Also, any export of a movie clip where the in/out includes a section with the psd-file produces a failed export.

I tried adding another newly created psd-file and the result is the same. It works as it should however with a jpeg-file.

Aug 19, 2021 10:50 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks for your help Tom! Didn't know this about layered files as compound clips, as I've usually worked with single-layer psd-files (this one had two). I worked around it by merging the layers in the psd, and both extending duration and exporting worked.

To answer you second post: yes, there are no vector shapes or effects. Only isolated objects i rasterized layers. I was exporting ProRes 422 HQ, 3840x2160, Standard - Rec. 709 color space

Can't change duration of still image

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.