Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 7 only charges when connected directly to MBP

Since a recent update, it’s currently running iPad OS 14.7..1, my iPad will only charge when directly connected to my MBP 2019. None of my wall chargers will work, even though they work fine on my iPhone 7 also running 14.7.1.

I noticed others are having this same issue, as I found this old thread indicating the same problem, but it’s locked to new comments:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251647577

I tried power cycling and it does not help. The power adapter I use states “Designed by Apple in CA. Assembled in China.” 12W USB Power Adapter. I have also tried other adapters, and multiple lightening cables, all show the “Not Connected” message.

iPad Air 3 Wi-Fi

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 8:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2021 7:52 AM

As of iPad OS 15 update, wall charging using the same chargers that were previously not working is now working as expected. I guess I'll wait for the next update to see what happens next. Frustrating.

5 replies

Aug 20, 2021 7:35 AM in response to hotdogthemovie

Hi hotdogthemovie,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Sounds like your iPad is not charging, is that right? If so, you can try the troubleshooting steps in this article: If your iPad won't charge.

If this continues after following those steps, you'll want to check with Apple Support. Depending on your region, you may be able to reach them here: Get Support.

Have a good one!

Aug 20, 2021 9:09 AM in response to mario49

Thanks for your reply, but it does not help my situation.

The iPad does charge when connected to any Macintosh computer... MBP, Mac M1 Mini both charge the iPad.

The iPad does not charge when connected to an Apple provided wall charger and Apple Lightening cable. This same wall charger and cable will charge my iPhone 7.

Viewing the information on the link provided also suggested power cycling the iPad... pressing home button and on/off key to reboot. As I stated in my initial post, I have done that several times with no change to the problem.

iPad 7 only charges when connected directly to MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.