Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 12.5.4 –Some recent apps do not update

I don't know enough (obviously) about how apps are written, but I fear app makers are using common code that is not working properly for old iOS.

The story:

I use iPhone 6 with iOS 12.5.4

Went to manually update free AccuWeather and Yelp.

They say "Works on this iPhone"

They do not update and the apps become 100% useless.

I tried all the trouble shooting in the app trouble shoot list (did not call support)

These were on two different days and checking the App Store shows that I am not alone. Other users have the same problem with these 2 apps.

I uninstalled the apps and hoped to get the old versions back, but no luck. All I got was the gray circle showing me download and install was going to begin. But nothing happens.

If apps aren't meant for my phone, of course that's fine. I don't expect everything new to be compatible with my phone, but I do expect to get completely correctly information about compatibility with 12.5.4

Any ideas? I won't be able to help me, but at least I'll know what went wrong.

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 2:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2021 2:18 PM

There has been a recent glitch in the App Store regarding this issue (which I think has now been fixed). I have found that when an app asks to "download a previous version" that the thing to do is to quit the App Store. Delete the app off your iPhone and then redownload it. It will install the latest version compatible with your iPhone/iOS. That should reset everything. But, of course, you will have to restore any preferences you had with the app.

Redownload apps and games from Apple - Apple Support

However, if an app doesn't give you the "download a previous version" message, it won't redownload and install. I think it is best to leave those alone for now and wait (hopefully) for a fix to the iOS or from the app developer.

For more info, see all the replies to:

iOS 12.5.4 some apps showing updates avai… - Apple Community

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2021 2:18 PM in response to Suzan52

There has been a recent glitch in the App Store regarding this issue (which I think has now been fixed). I have found that when an app asks to "download a previous version" that the thing to do is to quit the App Store. Delete the app off your iPhone and then redownload it. It will install the latest version compatible with your iPhone/iOS. That should reset everything. But, of course, you will have to restore any preferences you had with the app.

Redownload apps and games from Apple - Apple Support

However, if an app doesn't give you the "download a previous version" message, it won't redownload and install. I think it is best to leave those alone for now and wait (hopefully) for a fix to the iOS or from the app developer.

For more info, see all the replies to:

iOS 12.5.4 some apps showing updates avai… - Apple Community

Aug 20, 2021 3:09 PM in response to javaliga

I did write the developers (won't waste too much of their time). And it looks as if the App Store glitch is fixed now.

AccuWeather reinstalled the old version but Yelp didn't. Yet. I'll try all the tricks and then wait as suggested.

I'm mad at myself for not finding the other thread despite what I thought was a thorough search. Better searching next time.

Thanks for the help.

iOS 12.5.4 –Some recent apps do not update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.