Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 12.5.4 some apps showing updates available, updates will download but not install

iPhone 6, iOS 12.5.4, 20GB free memory, good WiFi, good battery.

Some apps auto update OK, but several updates download but don't install, still show update flags.

The apps fail to update, but they still work on the older versions.

Compatibility of update shows "works on this iPhone", typically iOS 10 or iOS 11 or higher for all these "trouble" apps.

Examples: Linkedin version 9.1.231, Twitter version 8.78.1, eBay version 6.25.0.

I have tried resetting phone, closing/restarting apps, tried using purchased apps (just showed UPDATE flag again and then failed to update).

I am afraid to delete app and try to reload in case the apps won't be usable.

This just started with iOS update 12.5.4 and all say they will work with iOS 12.

What to do?

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 3:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2021 10:55 AM

I have found that when an app asks to "download a previous version" that the thing to do is to quit the App Store. Delete the app off your iPhone and then redownload it. It will install the latest version compatible with your iPhone/iOS. That should reset everything. But, of course, you will have to restore any preferences you had with the app.

Redownload apps and games from Apple - Apple Support

However, if an app doesn't give you the "download a previous version" message, it won't redownload and install. I think it is best to leave those alone for now and wait (hopefully) for a fix to the iOS or from the app developer.

Similar questions

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2021 10:55 AM in response to computerperson_gs

I have found that when an app asks to "download a previous version" that the thing to do is to quit the App Store. Delete the app off your iPhone and then redownload it. It will install the latest version compatible with your iPhone/iOS. That should reset everything. But, of course, you will have to restore any preferences you had with the app.

Redownload apps and games from Apple - Apple Support

However, if an app doesn't give you the "download a previous version" message, it won't redownload and install. I think it is best to leave those alone for now and wait (hopefully) for a fix to the iOS or from the app developer.

Oct 2, 2021 7:20 PM in response to deggie

Hi

I have the same issue - I have tried every suggestion - It all started when I restored my iPhone 5S - I had to re-install the Loseit App but it will not complete a download - I still appears in my Purchased Apps and advises me to get the Previous Version - I wish I could!!

Here is the answer from their Support - Contact Apple - Apple says it's the developer!!! Both are monitoring each other - this does not help me

"I realize this isn’t the greatest news; we are monitoring the situation to see if Apple makes any updates that resolve this issue. If anything on our end changes or we find that this was, in fact, a Lose It! issue, we will take swift action to get it fixed."

"Hi Annabel,

Thanks for reaching out, and sorry to hear of the trouble.

We recently changed the minimum required iOS/iPadOS software to iOS 13.  So all Lose It! updates from that point forward require iOS/iPadOS 13. 

That is why you can not update to the newest version of Lose It!.

But, the Apple App Store is supposed to allow users to download a prior version that is still supported on their device and (iOS 12.5.4). 

Our working theory is that this has something to do with a change with iOS 12.5.4.  There are a few discussion threads in the Apple support forms of other users seeing this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253058228?page=1

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253053761 

In the meantime, you can still log in and access most features on loseit.com or any other Apple Mobile device running iOS/iPadOS 13.

I realize this isn’t the greatest news; we are monitoring the situation to see if Apple makes any updates that resolve this issue. If anything on our end changes or we find that this was, in fact, a Lose It! issue, we will take swift action to get it fixed."

Aug 18, 2021 12:04 PM in response to Topbus

Topbus, that is exactly my experience.

I learned early on deleting the Yelp app was a bad idea as the "download a previous version" does not work. I still can't get the Yelp app installed.

Some additional apps reported as troublesome among well over a dozen reported on other sites:

• AccuWeather
  • Brave
  • IMDb
  • WebSSH

Apple needs to fix this. I understand the reasons for and challenges with new iOS updates and affect on apps, but the misinformation and failure of being reinstalling previous version even when asked by the app store is making me feel coerced into upgrading my phone, and I don't like that feeling.

Aug 19, 2021 5:28 PM in response to computerperson_gs

I don't think it's app specific. There are too many apps failing to update or install on my phone, all of which -according to the app info- are compatible with my iPhone. This is what I've tried:

• Soft reset
  • Logging out and in again
  • Logging in with a different ID
  • Deleting and reinstalling app
  • Stopping dl and re-download
  • Installing from a backup using iMazing (great app btw)
  • Putting phone in recovery mode and updating/re-installing iOS
  • Restoring to factory default and setting up as a new iPhone
  • Swearing at the phone for several minutes

All to no avail. Interestingly enough, when I first connected the phone in recovery mode iTunes said there was a problem with it. That's why I persisted with trying to fix it but now it would seem it is an Apple issue. Wouldn't it be nice to have a system utility for iOS devices like there are for the Mac, like Onyx

Sep 6, 2021 2:56 PM in response to Padlorr

1. It really doesn't matter what shape your device is in it does not have sufficient RAM to run iOS 13 and you cannot add it.
  2. Nobody is browbeating anybody.
  3. It is up to the app developer if they want to keep an older version of their app available for devices running older iOS versions, not Apple.
  4. If a developer is telling you that they have an older version available then it should tell you that when you try to update. If it does not something has gone awry, click on the Get Support link at the top right of this page to contact Apple.
  5. If you see a message saying that the app now requires iOS 13 or later that means the developer opted to not keep an older version available and support it. Again that had nothing to do with Apple.
  6. You don't have to spend $1,000 USD to get a device that can run iOS 13. You can buy a used iPhone 6s or an iPhone SE 2020 which is $399.

Aug 17, 2021 5:10 PM in response to deggie

ALL of these apps say in the info they require iOS 10 or 11 NOT 13. I also do not get any errors. The apps download and just don’t install. I find it hard to believe so many major apps have the same issues and no notification or error that iOS 13 is required.

I think iOs 12.5.4 broke something, as downloading from purchased apps is supposed to install the last valid version for the iOS, but this does not happen. So I don’t think the App Store is trying to update or install a iOS version.

Aug 17, 2021 5:49 PM in response to computerperson_gs

I checked and every app you're having an issue with is compatible with an iPhone running iOS 11 or higher. So, it's not the apps. I would do as deggie suggests and perform a Forced Restart on your iPhone.

Do to so on an iPhone 6:

Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

Aug 18, 2021 10:42 AM in response to computerperson_gs

LinkedIn and Twitter have changed their compatibility information, now saying “works with this iPhone” (iPhone 6) but now requires iOS 13 or 13.4. They ask if I want to download a previous version, but if answer Yes it just keeps repeating the request until I cancel.

eBay continues to show iOS 11 required, but still won’t update. Just downloads, won’t install, and keeps showing the UPDATE button.

Is is there any way to stop the update flags? It is very inconvenient to monitor other updates and makes “update all” and “auto update” waste bandwidth as they try to update which will ultimately fail and cause other updates to not update at all when the iPhone sees the failure. I have to do these individually. Surely Apple has a solution for this.

I am not not yet ready to shell out $1,000.00 plus for a new phone.

Aug 18, 2021 12:13 PM in response to computerperson_gs

Your assertion Apple needs to fix this is not correct. Every time a new iOS version is coming out, the API's are sent to the App developers. It is 100%, completely, entirely up to the App Developers to ensure their apps work with the update. Apple doesn't own the App. Apple doesn't own the code for a 3rd party app. Apple cannot make a 3rd party app work with iOS. Only the App Developer can do that. If they haven't, you need to address your concern with the app developer.

What some of you are running into is unfortunately expected when dealing with hardware which is now 8 years old, out of date, and no longer capable of running the newer iOS versions. It's honestly only going to get worse as new iOS versions are released.

Aug 21, 2021 1:12 PM in response to computerperson_gs

Yes, I have been having the same problem on my iPhone 6 Plus for the last several days. The App Store has gotten very finicky.

Many app updates will not load. A number of my apps have stopped working, and tell me that I need to download an update - but I am unable to do so.

I would not delete the apps, as you likely will not be able to download them again.

In the App Store, when I try to update some apps, I get this message:

"Download an older version of this app?"

"The current version requires iOS 13.0 or later, but you can download the latest compatible version"

The choices are "Cancel" or "Download."

Clicking "Download" does not work - it simply brings up the same message again. So one has to "Cancel."

That is, the App Store is not able to download an iOS compatible version of the app.

I suspect that the reason that this has started to happen now is that app developers are getting ready for iOS 15, due to be released this Fall (to go along with the new iPhone 13 series). They are updating their apps, and eliminating compatibility with iOS 12.

These are all in a continuing stream of small ( intentional) incentives to get you to buy a new iPhone. It's quite sad, since my iPhone 6 Plus is in superb shape, replaced in Spring 2019 with a brand new unit, due to a battery issue.

It would be nice to think that Apple will have a fix for this problem, but I sincerely doubt it...

iOS 12.5.4 some apps showing updates available, updates will download but not install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.