Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turning Bluetooth back on when mouse and keyboard require Bluetooth

I have a magic keyboard and mouse which I believe both require Bluetooth to operate. I turned Bluetooth off in the system preferences as part of trouble shooting a numlock issue with the keyboard, and of course now have no way of turning Bluetooth back on (as the keyboard and mouse both require Bluetooth). Is there any way to force Bluetooth back on? I’ve got no way of controlling the computer at the moment and pressing shift while I restart doesn’t seem to be triggering safe mode. Grateful for any assistance as we go back into home learning again…

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 5:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 6:20 PM

Thank you - unfortunately the assistant isn’t coming up, and the lightening cables I have aren’t communicating for some reason.

But I will head out and get a generic keyboard and wired mouse to try and get back in.

4 replies

Aug 19, 2021 5:48 PM in response to Mana

I’m using Apple wireless peripherals as wired using USB-A to Lightning cables. (It works.)

Long-press the power button on the iMac to force a halt, and then restart it. That should trigger an assistant that will allow a wireless keyboard and mouse to connect, when no keyboard and mouse is detected.

Pretty much any generic keyboard or mouse peripheral will work with a Mac, though the key layout can sometimes be a little wonky and the keyboard setup tool will try to work through that when you connect it.

Turning Bluetooth back on when mouse and keyboard require Bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.