Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pausing and restarting a timer or counter animation in Apple Motion

I'm building a non-linear timer/stopwatch/counter. I need them to "pause" and start again at various non-equal intervals.

(Note: For the timer, I used the time/date generator, and used a trick from this thread to display it in a friendly way: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253023646)

I was able to get the "pause" effect I wanted, but by doing it the brute force way - by duplicating the timers and fiddling around with their duration and start/end values. It's really ugly if I say so myself.

Is there a more elegant way to "pause" a single timer or counter object, and start it up again, instead of creating a bunch of separate timers/counters?

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 8:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2021 10:08 AM

Another, probably more direct and easier way to go, would be to just set your start and end values - and let it animate, and then clone it - and then use the clones 'variable' speed option - which will let you keyframe the start/pause/continue/pause/continue that you need. It is a bit buggy to set the keyframes directly in the clone options, so use the keyframe function directly in the keyframe editor to avoid the quirks.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2021 10:08 AM in response to ltgseb

Another, probably more direct and easier way to go, would be to just set your start and end values - and let it animate, and then clone it - and then use the clones 'variable' speed option - which will let you keyframe the start/pause/continue/pause/continue that you need. It is a bit buggy to set the keyframes directly in the clone options, so use the keyframe function directly in the keyframe editor to avoid the quirks.

Aug 21, 2021 9:41 AM in response to ltgseb

Hi

Rather than use a bunch of generators in a sequence like that, you could apply a series of ramp behaviors instead.

Uncheck the 'animate' option before applying the ramps.

Set the right values so that the start value of each successive ramp continues from the end value of the previous.

Have your ramps together in the timeline - but use the 'start offset/end offset' parameters to create delays between the ramping and prevent the time from snapping back to the previous values between behaviors.

I applied 3 ramps here

In the keyframe editor you will see the ongoing results of the behavior so you can line things up well

To get something like this...I think this is what you described the goal is..

There are probably better ways, so I'll leave you with this, and hopefully there are more solutions on the way for you.

Pausing and restarting a timer or counter animation in Apple Motion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.