You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Optimized battery charging does not work anymore

I have a MacBook Pro 16-in, 2019 which I purchased just a few months ago. It came with Big Sur.

When I initially purchased it, the optimized battery charging worked very well. After a week of usage, the laptop would charge only to 80% as I usually have it plugged in all the time.

Then I updated to 11.5.1. It charged to 100% even though I have "Optimized battery charging" enabled. Even after several weeks of usage, it still charges to 100%. Also an update to 11.5.2 did not help.

I called Apple Support and we reset the SMC and the NVRAM. We also reinstalled Big Sur 11.5.2 using Internet Recovery. Still, the battery is fully charged at 100%, even though Optimized battery charging is selected.

Any recommendations?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 20, 2021 2:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2021 10:00 AM

AEberlein wrote:

I have a MacBook Pro 16-in, 2019 which I purchased just a few months ago. It came with Big Sur.

When I initially purchased it, the optimized battery charging worked very well. After a week of usage, the laptop would charge only to 80% as I usually have it plugged in all the time.

Then I updated to 11.5.1. It charged to 100% even though I have "Optimized battery charging" enabled. Even after several weeks of usage, it still charges to 100%. Also an update to 11.5.2 did not help.

I called Apple Support and we reset the SMC and the NVRAM. We also reinstalled Big Sur 11.5.2 using Internet Recovery. Still, the battery is fully charged at 100%, even though Optimized battery charging is selected.

Any recommendations?

I do not see this as an issue—

Update or no update if you unplug it then plug back into charger it can prompt it go back to 100%. It may take a week or two to start it's way back down ... it learns as it goes, I would not try and second guess it.

Let the BHM interpolate your usage pattern, and can hold it at 92% 88% 84% 72% etc. however it deems best.

I would not be concerned.

About battery health management in Mac notebooks— introduced with macOS10.15.5

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211094

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 21, 2021 10:00 AM in response to AEberlein

AEberlein wrote:

Any recommendations?

I do not see this as an issue—

Update or no update if you unplug it then plug back into charger it can prompt it go back to 100%. It may take a week or two to start it's way back down ... it learns as it goes, I would not try and second guess it.

Let the BHM interpolate your usage pattern, and can hold it at 92% 88% 84% 72% etc. however it deems best.

I would not be concerned.

About battery health management in Mac notebooks— introduced with macOS10.15.5

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211094

Optimized battery charging does not work anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.