Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much would a MagSafe port replacement cost on a 2017 MacBook Air?

Hi all,

Back in 2019 my charger broke and I didn't have money for an authentic one so I got a cheapy from eBay. As you can guess, it has destroyed my port. It would have been cheaper to just get an Apple certified one, I know.

Anyway, now no chargers work for very long, I have gotten 3 new chargers genuine Apple ones) since then and they have all broken. From my googling, what I think has happened (based on my research) is that it's sparked or shorted out and that has damaged the port. From a visual inspection, the the contact pins (not sure if that's the correct term or not but I mean the gold things in the port) are black and don't look to healthy.

I have tried everything suggested on any website and every support forum post I can find but nothing has helped. I've taken a toothbrush to it with cleaning alochol, didn't work, tried an SMC reset, didn't work, I have tried pretty much everything.

So, my question is; how much would it cost to get it fixed? I'm still a minor so I can't just take it to an Apple store and hope I have enough money, unless it cost 50 cents, I will most likely need to save up for a few weeks. Price doesn't need to be exact, just a rough estimate or even a range so I know how much I will need.

Thanks

p.s I know I can't travel to a store with current COVID restrictions, this is mainly just so I can start saving up to get it fixed. Also, I am located in Australia.

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 20, 2021 3:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2021 7:38 AM

If you can't use chat or phone then the only options remaining is to visit a Genius Bar or mail it in. There are only so many ways to contact anybody and these are the ways Apple has set up.

For the US and Canada: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210151

No idea about other countries, but I'm sure there are some provisions for the rest of the world

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2021 7:38 AM in response to IAmABaku

If you can't use chat or phone then the only options remaining is to visit a Genius Bar or mail it in. There are only so many ways to contact anybody and these are the ways Apple has set up.

For the US and Canada: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210151

No idea about other countries, but I'm sure there are some provisions for the rest of the world

How much would a MagSafe port replacement cost on a 2017 MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.