Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replace possibly fried MagSafe port on MacBook Pro mid 2011?

A few days ago I stumbled with my MacBook Pro mid-2011 and managed to dismantle the MagSafe plug. So now I had a power cord with (still nice and straight) power pins, now disconnected from the Mac, and the metal rectangular collar with the five holes that attaches to the port. (Perhaps this the actual magnet?).

I was able to reassemble the plug by pressing the collar back into its press fit, and everything seemed fine for a day, so I limped along and ordered a new charger. It worked but was physically unstable and kept coming apart. After a couple of days it started being difficult to make a connection so I pressed and wiggled and got another day out of it. I was in the middle of an important project so I kept going.

Then it stopped charging and the battery went dead. I was no longer able to make a connection or get a light. Except once there was a very, very faint green light.

Then I looked at the port to see if there was debris and noticed a black diagonal line going across the floor of the port more or less in the middle. Running a toothpick along that floor, I could feel the line and I suspect that it may be cracked. Today the new charger arrived but wasn't able to connect or get a light.

Is it possible that the poor connection caused enough heat to crack the floor of the port?

Is it likely that I would be able to replace the port by cannibalizing a Mac of similar vintage I have in the bone yard?

many thanks and wash those hands,

Bruce

MacBook Air

Posted on Mar 24, 2020 1:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2020 12:31 PM

I'm not sure what you are describing with the Magsafe port. If the plastic gray covering sticker comes loose it will reveal a more chrome looking port which does have a vertical line in the middle. You will need to post a picture so we know exactly what you are talking about.

Try an SMC reset.

Sometimes if the battery becomes completely discharged it will prevent the laptop from powering on. Sometimes it is necessary to disconnect the battery and power on the laptop. While the laptop is on you need to carefully reconnect the battery and let it charge at least 10% before turning off the laptop or disconnecting the power adapter. You need to be very careful the internal electronics do not come into contact with any conductive surface or items. This can be a bit tricky to do as the magsafe charger easily disconnects.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2020 12:31 PM in response to Posney

I'm not sure what you are describing with the Magsafe port. If the plastic gray covering sticker comes loose it will reveal a more chrome looking port which does have a vertical line in the middle. You will need to post a picture so we know exactly what you are talking about.

Try an SMC reset.

Sometimes if the battery becomes completely discharged it will prevent the laptop from powering on. Sometimes it is necessary to disconnect the battery and power on the laptop. While the laptop is on you need to carefully reconnect the battery and let it charge at least 10% before turning off the laptop or disconnecting the power adapter. You need to be very careful the internal electronics do not come into contact with any conductive surface or items. This can be a bit tricky to do as the magsafe charger easily disconnects.

Mar 24, 2020 4:47 PM in response to Posney

The silver part is normal as the gray plastic is missing exposing the metal underneath. A couple of the contact pins looks a bit dirty though.

If my trick with disconnecting the battery and using just the power adapter doesn't work, then you have an internal hardware fault. You may still need to perform another SMC reset with the battery disconnected, but the charger plugged in. If it doesn't power on then you have a hardware fault (battery, MLB, or DC-In Board).

Replace possibly fried MagSafe port on MacBook Pro mid 2011?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.