Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 MacBook Pro/Display Link/Dual Monitors

I got the M1 MacBook Pro a while back and was as thrilled as everyone else to discover it only supports one monitor. I finally got a DisplayLink compatible J5 dock and installed DisplayLink. That fixed the problem and it supported two monitors Thursday.

Thursday night I updated MacOS to Big Sur 11.5.2. That was the only change. Next morning it no longer supported DisplayLink and I could only use one external monitor again. I've tried reinstalling DisplayLink and done the usual troubleshooting. Since it worked until the OS was updated and hasn't worked since, I'm assuming the new OS release disabled the DisplayLink software.

Did Apple really sell us a "Pro" laptop that only supports one external monitor, force us to use third party hardware and software for a workaround and then distribute an update that disables the workaround?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 21, 2021 6:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2021 7:04 AM

The M1 MacBook (Air/Pro) only supports 1 external display. This has always been the case. The specs are very clear about this. Using a third party display port does not increase this capability. It provides a poor workaround.

MacBook Pro 13-inch - Technical Specifications - Apple

"Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:

• One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz"

If you need 2 external displays you will have to buy a computer that supports 2 external displays.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 21, 2021 7:04 AM in response to ESanderA

The M1 MacBook (Air/Pro) only supports 1 external display. This has always been the case. The specs are very clear about this. Using a third party display port does not increase this capability. It provides a poor workaround.

MacBook Pro 13-inch - Technical Specifications - Apple

"Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:

• One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz"

If you need 2 external displays you will have to buy a computer that supports 2 external displays.

M1 MacBook Pro/Display Link/Dual Monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.