Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an ipod shuffle, its software is updated but I can't add songs to it from Apple Music on my MacBook Pro

I have an ipod shuffle, its software is updated but I can't add songs to it from Apple Music on my MacBook Pro. What can I do?

Posted on Aug 21, 2021 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2021 8:35 AM

cathleen209 wrote:

This is all Apple BS -- apart from the fact that Apple Music is NOT the suitable substitute for iTunes that it purports to be, you do also BUY and not just rent music from Apple Music, but you have to buy it twice or multiple times to get it on your iPod.

I’ve not had issues using Finder to load purchased music and music acquired elsewhere and stored in the Apple Music app.

The Apple Music app (specifically the Apple Music app, and not the music-renting Apple Music subscription service) stores purchased music as iTunes had done previously, while Finder performs the device synchronization to an iPad shuffle, iPhone, or whatever else, with the device synchronization formerly performed by the iTunes app on macOS.

If your purchased music and music acquired elsewhere and stored in thr Apple Music app is not loading into your iPod shuffle with Finder, contact Apple Support. Use the Get Support link in the upper right of this webpage.

This thread is unfortunately the inevitable and confusing outcome of a music rental service named Apple Music, and a semi-related app with overlapping uses that’s also named Apple Music.

The service and app naming used here—and similarly the naming around Apple TV service and app and hardware—is all fodder for massive confusion, yes.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2021 8:35 AM in response to cathleen209

cathleen209 wrote:

This is all Apple BS -- apart from the fact that Apple Music is NOT the suitable substitute for iTunes that it purports to be, you do also BUY and not just rent music from Apple Music, but you have to buy it twice or multiple times to get it on your iPod.

I’ve not had issues using Finder to load purchased music and music acquired elsewhere and stored in the Apple Music app.

The Apple Music app (specifically the Apple Music app, and not the music-renting Apple Music subscription service) stores purchased music as iTunes had done previously, while Finder performs the device synchronization to an iPad shuffle, iPhone, or whatever else, with the device synchronization formerly performed by the iTunes app on macOS.

If your purchased music and music acquired elsewhere and stored in thr Apple Music app is not loading into your iPod shuffle with Finder, contact Apple Support. Use the Get Support link in the upper right of this webpage.

This thread is unfortunately the inevitable and confusing outcome of a music rental service named Apple Music, and a semi-related app with overlapping uses that’s also named Apple Music.

The service and app naming used here—and similarly the naming around Apple TV service and app and hardware—is all fodder for massive confusion, yes.

Aug 21, 2021 11:34 AM in response to cathleen209

Ah, apologies. i thought you were doing something else.

Apple Music is confusingly used for both an app, and for a subscription service. I thought you were a subscriber, and were trying to transfer music from the subscription over into your iPod Shuffle. That won’t work.

If you are trying to transfer purchased or other not-protected content over onto an iPod Shuffle, then the Apple Music app is where the music is stored (that whether the music itself is protected, purchased, or otherwise), but that tool isn’t what is used for the transfer. Finder is now used for that transfer.

iTunes got split up because it was trying to do way too much.

What happened to iTunes? - Apple Support

Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

Sep 3, 2021 8:05 AM in response to ibolcina

ibolcina wrote:

I don't understand. I bought two ipod shuffle for running. I'm subscriber to apple music service. Please provide instructions how to put music on ipod shuffle.
As far as I understand, the only option is buying again the same music that I already have access through Apple music, and copy that to ipod shuffle, or am I insane?

Music rented from the Apple Music subscription service (specifically the Apple Music subscription service, and not the Apple Music app) cannot be loaded onto an iPod shuffle.

Music rented from the Apple Music subscription service is DRM-protected, and an iPod shuffle does not support the playback of that DRM-protected music.

Music rented from the Apple Music subscription service can be played back on iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Mac, Android, the web, Apple TV (the box, not the service), and HomePod. The iPod shuffle is not among the playback choices currently available.

Some of the available apps, and web playback: Listen to Apple Music on the web and in apps - Apple Support

If you’d like Apple to add support for playback on iPod shuffle, log some feedback: Product Feedback - Apple

Aug 21, 2021 11:11 AM in response to MrHoffman

iTunes -- which Apple Music has turned into -- was NOT a rental service, or at least it didn't start that way. I had tons of music on my iTunes that had been from CDs I had purchased and uploaded to iTunes so I could access them on my iPod. That's how all this started out. Why doesn't Apple give us back iTunes so we can continue to use it as it was? I don't rent music on Apple EVER. I do purchase songs, but since I pay for them they should be available to me to listen to on whatever devices I have, just as I could listen to my CDs on multiple players.

It sounds like I need to find an alternative to Apple Music since it is useful for many users.

I have an ipod shuffle, its software is updated but I can't add songs to it from Apple Music on my MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.