Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 2018 with Magic Keyboard freezes iPad until Keyboard is removed and placed on keyboard again

iPad Pro 2018 with Magic Keyboard freezes iPad until iPad is removed and placed on keyboard again. This issue has gotten worse in the past 6 months where this happens on a daily basis, multiple times a day. I have seen other thread where people on 2020 iPad Pros have this issue too. What is the resolution to resolve this annoying issue? I always have my iPad Pro updated to the latest iOS. Sometimes the soft on screen keyboard comes up as well and immediately closes as well. This seems to be some sort of software glitch.

Posted on Aug 21, 2021 1:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2021 1:12 PM

Here is my take on your issue with the Magic Keyboard and your 2018 iPad Pro.

When it happens again, ➔ Force ReStart your iPad Pro while it is still mounted on the Magic Keyboard. If that resolves the issue, then it may be a software issue within your iPad Pro. If that does not resolve it and you still have to dismount the iPad Pro from the Magic Keyboard, then it may be hardware issue and can be something minor as dirty or worn contacts on the back of the iPad Pro or the contacts on the Magic Keyboard's mounting area. Wipe those contacts with a lint free dry cloth so that a better and a clean connection can be made between the device and the keyboard.

Axel F.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2021 1:12 PM in response to May Tran

Here is my take on your issue with the Magic Keyboard and your 2018 iPad Pro.

When it happens again, ➔ Force ReStart your iPad Pro while it is still mounted on the Magic Keyboard. If that resolves the issue, then it may be a software issue within your iPad Pro. If that does not resolve it and you still have to dismount the iPad Pro from the Magic Keyboard, then it may be hardware issue and can be something minor as dirty or worn contacts on the back of the iPad Pro or the contacts on the Magic Keyboard's mounting area. Wipe those contacts with a lint free dry cloth so that a better and a clean connection can be made between the device and the keyboard.

Axel F.

iPad Pro 2018 with Magic Keyboard freezes iPad until Keyboard is removed and placed on keyboard again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.