Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 2020 (11”) Magic Keyboard intermittently unresponsive issues

Hi. I have the 2020 iPad Pro running iOS 13.5.1 with the Magic Keyboard.

Every few weeks I find that the keyboard stops responding. I can still use the trackpad, see the pointer, perform gestures, but typing doesn’t work in any built-in or 3rd party apps (despite seeing the cursor and the typing bar). Interestingly, I can still type in the Spotlight Search bar, but not anywhere else, signalling that this is a software issue, as key presses are still being recognised outside of apps.

Removing the iPad from the keyboard and reattaching does not resolve the problem, and neither does force-quitting affected apps. A long-press using the trackpad on the down arrow to the far right of the typing bar does not summon the on screen keyboard, so this feels like a software bug. Only a restart resolves the issue, until the next time it happens, which seems to be at random and not reproducible.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Did you find a cause, or a way to fix it that doesn’t need you to restart?

Thanks for your help!

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on Jul 15, 2020 2:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2020 8:59 AM

Hello,

Checkout these Apple Support documents on how to troubleshoot Magic Keyboard. If the problem still persists please call Apple.

If you can't connect your Keyboard to your iPad

Set up and use Magic Keyboard for iPad

Contact AppleCare

Similar questions

3 replies

Jul 27, 2020 6:11 PM in response to jgpsolo

I bought this set up brand new when it first came out ipad pro 11 inch with magic keyboard. I was one of the first people to expierence this issue, keys not working on apps or anything. I called Apple support various times and they blew me off as they had not received or were aware of any issue with the new keyboard. I was trying to finish up my school at home during a pandemic so i returned the keyboard for a new one and they were actually out of stock. I was left with a new ipad but no exterior keyboard. I figured I’d wait and they would fix the issue and to no avail. I recently bought my 2nd Magic Keyboard and what do you know the same issue. As i am sitting here typing this, my magic keyboard refuses to use about half of the keys so I’m typing on the screen. Up to date software and new keyboard, and yet it’s almost impossible to find concrete evidence that other users have also been having very similar issues. Im very frustrated as when i bought the new ipad it was marketed as the new laptop, a better and more efficient device to do more. Yet that has been false, I spent well over 1600 on this set up and it’s ultimately useless for the one thing i need it to do which is type words. I have spent hours trying to find other users who have run into the issue of keys not working properly and there is surprisingly very little on the issue. Some say it is a software issue but if that is the case, my ipad pro 2020 is running the most current software. Now what. Do i return my keyboard again and am left with the other half to my laptop?

iPad Pro 2020 (11”) Magic Keyboard intermittently unresponsive issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.