Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Keyboard has typing issues

Hello!

My Magic Keyboard has persistent problems typing. Twice tonight, and routinely since I bought it with my IPad Pro in November 2021, the keyboard has randomly stopped typing keystrokes…as if it’s choosing to ignore any input onto the screen from keys when I’m typing — it refuses to type anywhere. I don’t think it’s a connectivity issue, because i can still use the trackpad to move the cursor and select things - but then what is selected must be manipulated from the screen keyboard. I can even use command + tab to switch between tabs after MK begins refusing to type. Notably, when i go to Settings > Bluetooth, Magic Keyboard isn’t there and there is a spinning wheel next to “Other Devices,’ where MK should be.

The issue occurs across all apps where typing is a possibility, the entire operating system actually - Settings, etc.). I saw that this was raised in another thread and the owner was asked to test the keyboard with other devices. I don't believe I have another compatible device to test the keyboard on but I also saw that several people had the same issue. Restarting my iPad fixes the issue temporarily, but then it comes back. Like i said, twice so far tonight. And I will do it a third time after i complete this message.

I have a hunch it may have something to do with a problem switching to the onscreen keyboard and then back to Magic Keyboard (which happens accidentally sometimes). I will test that when i restart once again. Hope we can figure it out.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 2:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 2:13 AM

Whilst perhaps unlikely to be a contributory factor, remove the iPad from the magic Keyboard Remove - and carefully/gently clean the smart connector contacts on both the iPad and keyboard with a soft pencil eraser. Ensure that the contacts are dirt and dust free, with all debris from the eraser removed, before reconnecting the two.

If you can't connect your iPad to your Magic Keyboard, Smart Keyboard, or Smart Keyboard Folio - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2022 2:13 AM in response to Sewbank

Whilst perhaps unlikely to be a contributory factor, remove the iPad from the magic Keyboard Remove - and carefully/gently clean the smart connector contacts on both the iPad and keyboard with a soft pencil eraser. Ensure that the contacts are dirt and dust free, with all debris from the eraser removed, before reconnecting the two.

If you can't connect your iPad to your Magic Keyboard, Smart Keyboard, or Smart Keyboard Folio - Apple Support

Magic Keyboard has typing issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.