Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Drive just Documents and Desktop not syncing.

Because of a problem I had to reset my mac, after that I restored it with Time Machine. After that iCloud didn’t synchronised Documents and Desktop Folder but everything else I have in my cloud, like Numbers, Pages Files and so on.

What I tried:

• Uncheck Cloud Drive
  • Uncheck Document & Desktop
  • Signing out of iCloud
  • Creating new user account
  • Reseting mac without backup

but nothing helped. Any ideas?

I have a 2020 MacBook Air (M1).

Posted on Aug 21, 2021 3:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 6:34 AM

When hard drive is erased and Mac OS installed , all system files are set and new , you have to set up new Mac , set up iCloud and turn on iCloud Drive and desktops and documents will get checked .

The folders that were not saved in iCloud will show blank .

See the articles Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

If you want to store your files in iCloud Drive and another cloud storage service, you can keep copies of your files in both, but you can't keep folders from a third-party cloud service in iCloud Drive.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2021 6:34 AM in response to F_lixn

When hard drive is erased and Mac OS installed , all system files are set and new , you have to set up new Mac , set up iCloud and turn on iCloud Drive and desktops and documents will get checked .

The folders that were not saved in iCloud will show blank .

See the articles Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

If you want to store your files in iCloud Drive and another cloud storage service, you can keep copies of your files in both, but you can't keep folders from a third-party cloud service in iCloud Drive.

Aug 22, 2021 10:25 AM in response to F_lixn

If you turned off iCloud for Documents and Desktop, it created the Archive ICloud file on home drive . ICloud shows no documents on it.

It will prompt the items from this desktop and the documents folder are available in iCloud Drive , to remove items from iCloud Drive , move them to your desktop and documents folder on this Mac , click on show in finder .

Again open system preferences > iCloud > iCloud Drive > the box of desktops and documents box is unchecked , tap over the box to get it rechecked , a circle rotates setting up the box gets checked .

You will notice a folder is created literally on the desktop , tap it a pop up window appears the items on this desktop on this Mac have been moved into a new folder called “ Desktops - Apples Mac book …( the name of Mac will be written in the existing desktop folder in iCloud Drive , you can combine the contents of these folders any time , click on show in finder .

Right click on the folder created on the Mac and move to trash , restart the Mac and empty the trash , but again the documents are placed in a right place in iCloud Drive as well in iCloud server .

https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mchlp1774/10.14/mac/10.14

By unchecking the box of desktops and documents - the files and documents created are invisible temporarily both in iCloud Drive and www.icloud.com but they are not deleted from the server and still occupying the space , you can check the box and use get info

Aug 22, 2021 12:19 AM in response to F_lixn

Was iCloud Drive and desktops and documents box always checked , after you turned off iCloud Drive did you checked it , when desktops and documents if its is unchecked and you again checked did it worked or you directly sign out with checking them .

Right now what is the status are these boxes checked or not , when new admin account is also not working plan to erase the hard drive and reinstall Mac OS

iCloud Drive just Documents and Desktop not syncing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.