Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Apple Mail bring in 'old' (i.e., already existing) mail from webmail accounts?

I'm planning to try using Apple Mail for the first time.

It's not clear from anything I've read so far whether Mail can retrieve and store the user's already existing email (i.e., the emails that are already in their outside email accounts accounts before they start using Mail) or only the new incoming mail in those accounts, starting from the time the user installs and begins using Mail.

By 'webmail accounts' I'm referring to Yahoo!, Outlook.com, etc.

Can Mail download the full content of those accounts, and if so can that existing content be filtered to exclude email the user doesn't want in Mail won't be included in the download? 

Thanks.

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 5:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 7:31 AM

If the email accounts are imap accounts any email on the server will be synchronized in Mail.

5 replies

Aug 24, 2021 9:54 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks but not sure what you mean.

I've used the webmail accounts to date as standalone entities in a browser but am now planning to switch to Apple Mail.

So I would be setting them up within Mail and using them via Mail from now on.

Did you mean to say that that presents a problem with migrating the already-existing email in those webmail accounts to Mail?

Does Apple Mail bring in 'old' (i.e., already existing) mail from webmail accounts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.