Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No disk available at ‘select disk where you want to install Mac os’

I am reinstalling macOS Big Sur. Select the disk where you want to install macOS, but no discs are given to me to select. What do I do?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 7:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 3:21 PM

In Disk Utility, select Show all Devices from the View popup menu.

Do you see a device at the top of the list probably named something like Apple SSD 500GB

5 replies

Aug 24, 2021 1:49 PM in response to bunsella

Hope you don’t mind me jumping in, I’m having the exact same problem. My daughter gave me her 2017 MacBook Pro w/TB today and when following the instructions to re-install Big Sur, in an attempt to reset it and wipe any data she may have left on there, I also managed to “lose” the 500GB drive (Macintosh HD). I’ve read many threads across various sites but none have given me any ideas on how to get it back. It does not appear in Disk Utility. I’m new to macOS and was hoping to use the MBP to train myself in readiness for a switch from Windows. Not a great start ;-). Any help would be much appreciated.

No disk available at ‘select disk where you want to install Mac os’

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.