Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Maximising iMac functionality

I just bought the iMac 2021 and I was just wondering what is the best way to take care of you iMac? In regards to shutting down, sleeping, hibernation. From the three what is the best option.

Thank you :)

iMac 24″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 23, 2021 7:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2021 7:36 AM

Welcome!

I've had Macs since about 1990 and always let them sleep unless I am going to be out of town for several days, Then I shut down the computer but leave it connected to the mains. I only unplug our Macs if I have have to move or service them. That maximizes the service life of an internal backup battery that is massively hard to replace in a sealed-case iMac—basically every on made sine 2012.

In sleep, the system can wake for needed automated tasks. I leave my Mac notebook computer with the lid closed unless in use, yet Time Machine continues to make backups, my automated bootable backup runs at the time I set (4AM), and the elegant Apple automated maintenance routines that keep the computer clean and healthy run on the wee hours of the morning as Apple intended.

The most important concept that many people, subjugated by fear marketing, forget is," You bought a Mac; don't treat it like a Windows computer!!!"

A Mac, catlike, cleans itself. You paid Apple to create a robust and self-maintaining OS and therefore NEVER install anti-virus or so-called "cleaning" apps, unless you want your Mac to run like it is 1995 all over again!

My best advice: Let Apple's efforts work for you and enjoy, don't obsess over, your new computer.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2021 7:36 AM in response to sarah-tran

Welcome!

I've had Macs since about 1990 and always let them sleep unless I am going to be out of town for several days, Then I shut down the computer but leave it connected to the mains. I only unplug our Macs if I have have to move or service them. That maximizes the service life of an internal backup battery that is massively hard to replace in a sealed-case iMac—basically every on made sine 2012.

In sleep, the system can wake for needed automated tasks. I leave my Mac notebook computer with the lid closed unless in use, yet Time Machine continues to make backups, my automated bootable backup runs at the time I set (4AM), and the elegant Apple automated maintenance routines that keep the computer clean and healthy run on the wee hours of the morning as Apple intended.

The most important concept that many people, subjugated by fear marketing, forget is," You bought a Mac; don't treat it like a Windows computer!!!"

A Mac, catlike, cleans itself. You paid Apple to create a robust and self-maintaining OS and therefore NEVER install anti-virus or so-called "cleaning" apps, unless you want your Mac to run like it is 1995 all over again!

My best advice: Let Apple's efforts work for you and enjoy, don't obsess over, your new computer.

Maximising iMac functionality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.