Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prevent overlapping Numbers line graph

I'm working on Numbers 11.1. I am creating a graph line with two lines (2 groups) with 12 data for each line (24 data total). Each data has error bars. When I create my graph, I would like to shift (left or right) one of the lines (data symbol and error bars) so that there is no overlapping of data symbol nor error bars. 

Is it possible ?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 12:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 12:55 PM

You mean like this (not all of my table is in the screenshot)?

I did that by making two charts and putting one on top of the other.

1. Make a chart of the first series
  2. Copy/Paste it then Edit Data References and change the data of the copy to the second series
  3. Place it on top of the other, shifted to the right.
  4. Remove all the duplicated stuff (grid lines, axis lines, category labels, etc). If you shift it over by much you might need to keep the X axis and horizontal gridlines so they extend far enough.
  5. Change the series color to something else.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2021 12:55 PM in response to emile241

You mean like this (not all of my table is in the screenshot)?

I did that by making two charts and putting one on top of the other.

1. Make a chart of the first series
  2. Copy/Paste it then Edit Data References and change the data of the copy to the second series
  3. Place it on top of the other, shifted to the right.
  4. Remove all the duplicated stuff (grid lines, axis lines, category labels, etc). If you shift it over by much you might need to keep the X axis and horizontal gridlines so they extend far enough.
  5. Change the series color to something else.

Prevent overlapping Numbers line graph

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.