Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound not working when streaming a video (iPad Safari)

I was streaming a yoga video when the sound suddenly stopped working.

I tried streaming a video from Netflix in a different tab, and no issues.

I tried the hard reboot / signing out and in again, with no success. I tried streaming the video on my husband's iPad and no problem. I was also able to stream it with sound using a different browser and no problems.

It almost seems like a "mute" was somehow accidentally set for this specific website - but I am not sure how that occurred, nor do I know how to "unmute" it, if that is in fact the case.

Does anyone have an answer / suggestion for resolving my issue?

Thanks in advance.

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 2:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2021 12:53 PM

EAnneWard,

You may notice that quitting Safari and reopening it still shows recently opened pages. Try to open a new tab instead, not in private browsing, enter the website address, and see if in a new tab the audio is working.

It might also help to clear website data. As a disclaimer, this will clear your browsing history and website data which you will not be able to restore after clearing. Clearing this data can help with Safari performance though. You can do this by going to Settings > Safari > tap Clear History and Website Data > tap Clear History and Website Data to confirm.

However, if this issue continues and only with this website, we would still recommend contacting the website developer to see if this is an expected setting or if something was enabled to mute the website in the session you were in.

Have a nice day.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2021 12:53 PM in response to EAnneWard

EAnneWard,

You may notice that quitting Safari and reopening it still shows recently opened pages. Try to open a new tab instead, not in private browsing, enter the website address, and see if in a new tab the audio is working.

It might also help to clear website data. As a disclaimer, this will clear your browsing history and website data which you will not be able to restore after clearing. Clearing this data can help with Safari performance though. You can do this by going to Settings > Safari > tap Clear History and Website Data > tap Clear History and Website Data to confirm.

However, if this issue continues and only with this website, we would still recommend contacting the website developer to see if this is an expected setting or if something was enabled to mute the website in the session you were in.

Have a nice day.

Aug 25, 2021 10:53 AM in response to EAnneWard

Hello EAnneWard,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

It sounds like you were streaming content on a specific website on your device but the sound muted and you're no longer able to resume the content with sound. We'd like to help.

Just to clarify, are you accessing this content on the web, using Safari or another web browsing app?

Have you tried closing the webpage, quitting the app completely, and then opening it again?

Does the issue continue in a private browsing window? Here's how to Browse privately in Safari on iPad, follow the section under "Visit sites without making history."

You mention this website and sound are working as expected in another browser on the device and on a different device. It sounds like it may be a setting if other websites with sound are working. We would suggest also contacting the developer or service for support if the above suggestions do not help.

Take care.

Aug 25, 2021 12:24 PM in response to leahspy

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response.

The issue was occurring on Safari. I followed your instructions on quitting Safari completely and opening it again, and the website still was not working.

However, accessing the website in a private browsing window worked perfectly - thank you!

Is there something I would need to do to get it working without using private browsing? (or should I simply continue accessing the website using private browsing?)

Thanks again.

Anne

Sound not working when streaming a video (iPad Safari)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.