Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Manually manage music in iTunes

I recently bought a new PC and moved my music from my old one. I went to sync my music with my iPhone XR in iTunes and the the option to manually manage music was not there. What magic do I have to do to get that capability back?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 3:26 PM

5 replies

Aug 25, 2021 7:13 AM in response to cortenberg

Select the device with this icon first:

The option you're looking for should be on the device's summary tab. Note that adding content from a new computer may cause iTunes to erase all existing media content on the device. iPhone's can only be manually managed from a single library. See Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device - Apple Community if needed.

tt2

Aug 25, 2021 9:11 AM in response to cortenberg

When you manually manage content you simply drag & drop from the library to the device where it appears in the sidebar. The options for choosing playlists, artist, albums, etc. only appear when you sync with the library. As for checkboxes in the songs view there is an option for these under Edit > Preferences > General. Checkboxes are best used to exclude content like bonus interview tracks from normal playback rather than as syncing tool.

tt2

Manually manage music in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.