Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro MacOS 10.15.7 How to clean up 54 GB of 'Other' in Storage

I have a MacBook Pro 2019 model running MacOS 10.15.7 Catalina with 121 GB of flash storage. Only 1.49 GB of storage is available, not enough to update any apps, nor MacOS. I have done MAJOR cleanup and saving of ~50 GB of documents, moved these files to Trash, and I have emptied the Trash. I am still left with 54.82 GB in the dark grayed out 'Other' category. How in the world do I clean up this 54 GB of 'Other' clogging up my storage?

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 7:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 7:54 PM

You cannot manage the other category - see here:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/system-information/syspf9b375b9/11.0/mac/11.0

However, you can clear other files such as movies, videos, photos, etc. You have an absolutely tiny drive, so you need to seriously think about anything you want to store there.

You need to maintain an absolute minimum of 10 - 15 GB of empty space at all times for the OS to function properly. If you fill it completely - and you are very close - your computer will stop functioning and it will be very difficult to try to recover from it.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2021 7:54 PM in response to MJZMom

You cannot manage the other category - see here:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/system-information/syspf9b375b9/11.0/mac/11.0

However, you can clear other files such as movies, videos, photos, etc. You have an absolutely tiny drive, so you need to seriously think about anything you want to store there.

You need to maintain an absolute minimum of 10 - 15 GB of empty space at all times for the OS to function properly. If you fill it completely - and you are very close - your computer will stop functioning and it will be very difficult to try to recover from it.

MacBook Pro MacOS 10.15.7 How to clean up 54 GB of 'Other' in Storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.