Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound input / output options disappearing on M1 Macbook Pro

Mac OS 11.5.2 (20G95),

I have to restart my computer every time I'm gonna use Zoom or Skype or anything else that uses microphone because software can't find any input and/or output device (input is more frequent). When I open Sound Preferences there are no input devices at all.

This happens with airpods pro and internal microphone as well.

I found a way how to restart audio services with:

sudo killall coreaudiod

Sometimes it helps, sometimes not, sometimes I have to run this command several times in a row to take effect but after some time issue comes again.

I tried to boot in safe mode as it was suggested in this thread and many others: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252935393 - doesn't help at all. I tried to boot into diagnostics and there were no related issues found. It happens to me several times a day and I can't find exact conditions that heads this issue to happen, I don't know what to do.

It seems that this issue is pretty common and definitely requires Apple's attention!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 26, 2021 5:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2021 4:17 AM

Several days is a row I don't face this problem any more, seems it's gone. Maybe my experience will help somebody.

What I did:

Under the root went to /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/ - this a system wide audio extensions folder, different applications can install their plug-ins there. For example, I used to use Zoom, Team Viewer, Boom Audio extension and all of them installed their parts there. And although I don't use some of them anymore, the plug-ins a left there for some reason.

So I reviewed content in that folder and removed those I thought I don't use and restarted the system.

The same folder you can also find in your home directory (~/Library). I suggest to check it too.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2021 4:17 AM in response to ikoldoon

Several days is a row I don't face this problem any more, seems it's gone. Maybe my experience will help somebody.

What I did:

Under the root went to /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/ - this a system wide audio extensions folder, different applications can install their plug-ins there. For example, I used to use Zoom, Team Viewer, Boom Audio extension and all of them installed their parts there. And although I don't use some of them anymore, the plug-ins a left there for some reason.

So I reviewed content in that folder and removed those I thought I don't use and restarted the system.

The same folder you can also find in your home directory (~/Library). I suggest to check it too.

Oct 24, 2021 10:14 PM in response to ikoldoon

This is almost certainly a conflict in audio plugins. Particularly if you're on the M1. BlackHole, BoomAudio, any number of chat apps, take your pick. They get unstable over time since the permissions allocation has changed with the Silicone Macs (I'm typing this from one now).

Solution:

1. Kill the coreaudiod process.

FROM TERMINAL

sudo killall coreaudiod

(this does the following: acting as an admin (superuser: do) kills all the processes named coreaudiod. You will likely have to enter your system password.)

FROM FINDER

Open Activity Monitor, find coreaudiod, and force-quit it.

2. Remove the plug-ins in question. The easiest way to do so is to drop into your /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL folder and simply delete the contents* (these are plug-ins, not core operating files. This won't hurt your Mac).

*NOTE: You may find that the plugins are shielded from you/you do not have the rights to delete them. If so, use one of the following processes:

FROM TERMINAL

cd /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL && sudo rm -R ./*

(this does the following: changes your current directory to your plugins folder, then acting as an admin (superuser: do) removes -Recursively from within in the current folder (./): everything (*). You will likely have to enter your system password.)

FROM FINDER

a. Go to the /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/ folder, select the HAL folder therein, and open the info dialog (⌘+i)

b. Click the 🔒 in the bottom right, and enter your system password.

c. Click the button in the bottom left.

d. Select your account name. Hit the blue Select button.

e. Next to where your name appears in the list, click the ⬍next to your name and select Read and Write

NOW delete them.

3. Restart your system, OR

FROM TERMINAL

sudo launchctl kickstart -k system/com.apple.audio.coreaudiod

(this does the following: acting as an admin (superuser: do) launches the controlling daemon to re-kickstart (making sure to -kill any copies already running) the system/ com.mand for apple.'s audio. controller, coreaudiod, the same one we killed at the beginning.)

WHAT ALL THIS IS DOING REALLY

Your plugin is fighting with MacOS over who has control of your audio. You are forcefully killing the running process, deleting the files that explain to the plug-in how it works (so if it/something else tries to relaunch it again it will fail), then restarting the audio process (either by restarting the system, or manually telling MacOS to relaunch it again as though it just booted).

DISCLAIMER

Fair warning: you may have to reinstall one or more of your chat/videoconference apps after this procedure.

Aug 26, 2021 7:26 AM in response to ikoldoon

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Un-installers, etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation. The Built-in Security of Big Sur is all that is required.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

Aug 27, 2021 8:19 AM in response to PRP_53

No, none of the listed software is installed. I even conducted an experiment and worked for several days in Safe Mode and nothing changed. Audio devices disappear in the audio settings unpredictably. For example, everything worked in the evening, I was monitoring the situation, but when I woke up in the morning and started Skype, the device's udio disappeared again and Skype gave out a microphone error. As usual, only a full reboot helped. Logging out and re-logging in from my account doesn't help either.

An interesting point is that despite the fact that the list is empty in the audio outputs, the sound works and the volume changes, but this does not work for the microphone.

Aug 27, 2021 11:40 AM in response to ikoldoon

Some extra details I investigated: last time I faced the issue when I launched Skype I connected external wired headphones with mic and they are appeared in possible sound inputs / outputs lists and I was able to make a call. But when I disconnected the headphones, internal sound devices didn't come back any way and everything was as before.

Oct 2, 2021 11:39 AM in response to ikoldoon

+1 on this.

I had the Mersive application "Solstice Conference Camera" installed due to using a shared conference room. Despite uninstalling the app, the camera kept showing up as available. It took my some time to track it down, but the offending plugin was called RelayCam.plugin I eradicated any files related to Solstice plus that plugin and I am now not losing my audio.

Sound input / output options disappearing on M1 Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.