Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automator Folder Action - Wait for File to Close

I am brand new to Automator. I created a single-step Folder Action that uses Open Finder Item to open files with a Photoshop Droplet (which opens the file in Photoshop, performs an Action, closes it, and saves a renamed JPG to a different folder). It works great for JPG files, but I also want to use it for PSD files.

The issue is that the Folder Action runs as soon as I've saved the PSD to the folder, but I often need to make more changes to the file after I create it/save it for the first time. I save regularly as I work. The Droplet also includes a close step in the Photoshop action it runs, so it actually closes the file soon after I save to the folder. Is there a way to make the Folder Action wait to run until I have (manually) closed the file after making all changes?

I typically drag file(s) onto the Droplet in Finder to run them, so saving to a working folder and then moving the PSD to the final folder when I don't have any more changes defeats the purpose of the Folder Action. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 26, 2021 11:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2021 11:36 AM

Short version: no.

Long version: maybe, but it's not trivial.

Automator is entirely serial - each step runs in sequence. There is no trivial way to make it 'intelligently' wait for some arbitrary state (e.g. knowing when you're done and it is safe to move on).

The most obvious solutions either involve a user interaction script (e.g click OK when its safe to continue), or a polling AppleScript that queries PhotoShop to detect when the file is closed.

Which solution is best is something only you can decide

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2021 11:36 AM in response to Elise R.

Short version: no.

Long version: maybe, but it's not trivial.

Automator is entirely serial - each step runs in sequence. There is no trivial way to make it 'intelligently' wait for some arbitrary state (e.g. knowing when you're done and it is safe to move on).

The most obvious solutions either involve a user interaction script (e.g click OK when its safe to continue), or a polling AppleScript that queries PhotoShop to detect when the file is closed.

Which solution is best is something only you can decide

Automator Folder Action - Wait for File to Close

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.