Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts App and spinning ball of death

I note that this issue appears frequently on Apple Communities but I am unable to find any evidence of a resolution on those threads.

Whenever I perform a search on Contacts or select a new contact in the list, I get the spinning ball of death that I have to Force Quit from.

Any apps that use Contacts (e.g. Messages app when typing a name for a new message) gets similarly frozen when it tries to access Contacts data.

This is a persistent issue (occurs every time) so Contacts is presently unusable. Any advice or guidance would be welcomed. Thank you!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 26, 2021 1:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2021 1:45 PM

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2021 1:45 PM in response to Delbert Whetter

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Sep 8, 2021 9:44 AM in response to Old Toad

I tried booting into Safe Mode. The problem went away for a while then returned. I notice rebooting makes the issue go away temporarily but it always returns. I've resorted to using my phone's Contacts app just to avoid the spinning ball of death on my desktop Contacts app.

Would appreciate any specific guidance on troubleshooting and extinguishing this issue.

Sep 8, 2021 2:09 PM in response to Delbert Whetter

I don't see any of the usual suspects. However, you haven't rebooted your laptop for over 9 days.

It's beneficial to the system and applications performances to reboot more frequently, at least 2-3 time per week. With a SSD drive rebooting should only take 30 second of less. Rebooting clears out temporary system and application cache and swap files.

Make your first reboot one into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down.  Then immediately reboot normally.

NOTE:  if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries you should connect it with its charging cable to assure a boot into Safe Mode. 

Sep 8, 2021 9:51 AM in response to Delbert Whetter

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

Contacts App and spinning ball of death

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.