Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does my imac 24-inch m1 with big sur version 11.5.2, have defrag or optimize like windows?

does my imac 24-inch m1 with big sur version 11.5.2, have defrag or optimize like windows?

Posted on Aug 26, 2021 6:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2021 6:17 PM

No, these utilities were 1990's technologies, for hard disk based systems. Current Macs use SSDs which need no user intervention to maintain them. If you want an iMac to run like new almost all the time, simply keep Mac OS up-to-date, restart the computer about 1x a week and NEVER EVER install any third party antivirus, cleaning or any other types of "maintenance" apps. Other than that just enjoy the Mac. Experienced users on these forums are always bailing the unexperienced out of trouble when they think they "know" what to do.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2021 6:17 PM in response to QWEDX2021_5-

No, these utilities were 1990's technologies, for hard disk based systems. Current Macs use SSDs which need no user intervention to maintain them. If you want an iMac to run like new almost all the time, simply keep Mac OS up-to-date, restart the computer about 1x a week and NEVER EVER install any third party antivirus, cleaning or any other types of "maintenance" apps. Other than that just enjoy the Mac. Experienced users on these forums are always bailing the unexperienced out of trouble when they think they "know" what to do.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.