Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Performance of SSD disks on Mac Mini M1 per USB 3.2 gen 2

After weeks of trying to find a solution to my performance problem with my Samsung SSD disks (T5 and T7 Touch), it seems that the explanation is the following:

There are two different USB 3.2 gen 2 standard, one is "1x2" the other "2x1".

The Samsung devices require "2x1" which means that they need 2 USB lanes to reach full perfomance.

But the Mac Mini, esp. when the disks are connected to a Thunderbold Dock, only gives ONE lane instead.

This results in the maximum of about 500 MB/s for such disks!

If this is a bug in Big Sur, I strongly urge Apple to fix this and give 2 USB lanes to such SSD drives, or in general USB-C devices!

If this is NOT a bug in Bug Sur, but a hardware problem of the M1, we have a serious problem!

Apple should be more open in explaining the standard used and supported!

The constant habit of just trying to support only their own stuff is annoying!

This will never ever happen, better learn to support standard and work together with other companies!

So, can I get the answer to my above question in this very forum?

Can macOS be fixed to support USB 3.2 gen 1x2 and not only 2x1?

Or is this a hardware problem?

Many thanks

Mac mini, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 27, 2021 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2021 12:49 PM

FWIW, the USB consortium turned USB into a nebulous mess with USB3 and vendors often leave the fine details of the spec out on their specific products. Just USB 3.2 has 4 different flavors. Here is a score card to keep things straight:

They could have specified one 5 Gbps configuration and on 10e Gbps configuration. But nooooo.

Similar questions

69 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2021 12:49 PM in response to Forced_to_use_a_username

FWIW, the USB consortium turned USB into a nebulous mess with USB3 and vendors often leave the fine details of the spec out on their specific products. Just USB 3.2 has 4 different flavors. Here is a score card to keep things straight:

They could have specified one 5 Gbps configuration and on 10e Gbps configuration. But nooooo.

Aug 31, 2021 12:49 PM in response to Halliday

Many thanks!

Your posting contained interesting information.

I never saw a statement from Apple about USB-C connections being USB4 (while dropping support for some older protocols).

Do you have a link?

I just see this from https://www.apple.com/mac-mini/specs/

• USB 4 (up to 40Gb/s)
  • USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10Gb/s)

Without further explanations.

If you are right, that the USB4 implementation is hardware based and just dropped some of the 3.1 / 3.2 gen 2 protocols without further notice from Apple, any M1 device get's much less interesting for anyone with a serious investment in external drives (like me).

That means, I will not get any additional M1 devices and wait if this get's fixed my M1X or M2.

Thanks for youyr reply!

P.S. It is massively annoying that this forum does not allow to reply to posting!

I again got this: "You’ve exceeded the posting limits. Please try again in a few minutes."

This should really be fixed!

Imagine someone who got 100 answers and he wants to reply to all of them!

He would need days ...

Aug 31, 2021 1:28 PM in response to Halliday

Sorry, but this is not true.

As long as you have no other of technical details, the following is the official statement from Apple, as I posted above:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201163

Up to 10 Gb/s without any details about which connector is meant.

But:

https://www.apple.com/mac-mini/specs/

Here it get's clear that this meant only for the USB-C connectors, not USB-A (which are 5 Gb/s)

Aug 31, 2021 1:08 PM in response to Forced_to_use_a_username

Forced_to_use_a_username wrote:

Many thanks!

Your posting contained interesting information.

I never saw a statement from Apple about USB-C connections being USB4 (while dropping support for some older protocols).
Do you have a link?

I just see this from https://www.apple.com/mac-mini/specs/

USB 4 (up to 40Gb/s)

That’s the USB-C connectors (“Thunderbolt/USB4”).

USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10Gb/s)

That’s the legacy USB-A connectors.

Without further explanations.

Apple gave you all the information necessary, provided you know how to use that information.

If you are right, that the USB4 implementation is hardware based and just dropped some of the 3.1 / 3.2 gen 2 protocols without further notice from Apple, any M1 device get's much less interesting for anyone with a serious investment in external drives (like me).

So be it.

USB4 is the future.

The rest are legacy, relegated to the past.

That means, I will not get any additional M1 devices and wait if this get's fixed my M1X or M2.

M1X, M2, etc. will continue to support USB4, but will, likely, not support any legacy USB protocols beyond what USB4 already does.

Thanks for youyr reply!

You’re most entirely welcome.

Sep 4, 2021 1:09 PM in response to Forced_to_use_a_username

Forced_to_use_a_username wrote:

If the USB4 port are just USB4 and not fully and really capable of the existing USB3 standard, Apple should state that.

Exactly this is, what I am constantly repeating.

But Apple did not make that public, for whatever reasons.

If that is your issue, then this is not the correct place to “air” such.

Instead, you need to take such up with Apple, directly.

Use Apple Support (such as via Get Support), or provide Apple direct feedback via their designated Feedback Mechanisms: Product Feedback - Apple.

Aug 27, 2021 10:26 AM in response to Forced_to_use_a_username

I am still in the cloud in terms of the naming USB 3.1 vs USB 3.2... (Thanks to USB-IF)

According to Apple website, M1 Mac Mini USBs are categorized 3.1 Gen 2.

I would take the "up to" speed with a grain of salt.

Additional thoughts - for external disks read/write speed, I think Thunderbolt drives might be more suitable in terms of performance. Again, I can only achieve 1200 mb/s read/write in TB, nothing close to TB3's claim.

Aug 31, 2021 1:20 PM in response to hcsitas

You did not read the above comments, it seems.

This problem is very widespread and devices from many vendors have the same problem.

Those devices are Gen 2 with "1x2" specification and are totally valid.

The techncial explanation is also explained above:

Apple does not support all valid USB 3.2 gen 2 protocols anymore, while they did in former Macs!

Dropping support for something needs to be documented, of course!

And of course, this is a problem with Apple as they changed their Mac hardware (and/or software) and dropped support, without any mention.

Just read above to get the details.

I attach the graphic from @woodmeister50

Aug 28, 2021 5:47 AM in response to Forced_to_use_a_username

All M1 Macs will not support full USB Gen 2 speeds vs an Intel Mac. This has been documented many times. There is no issue with TB drives supporting TB speeds. I have several different Macs and several different SSD's and all show the same issue. Not sure if it is the issue you state but OWC has tested and provided some theories. I use several NVME drives both in TB enclosures and USB gen 2 enclosures and the Gen 2 drives run about 25-30% slower on M1 vs Intel machines. Also drives my run slower going through a hub vs direct connection to mac. This is what OWC blog has to say:

https://eshop.macsales.com/blog/74780-faster-external-drive-speed-m1-mac/

Aug 28, 2021 7:51 AM in response to samtenor

That's the problem.

Apply is not fully clear in that works and what not.

Here is a lenghly discussion about this:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/usb-on-m1-macs-isnt-actually-10gb-s-also-definitely-not-usb4.2269777/

They are only offering one USB lane to devices, not two.

And my question is, if this is just a bad situiation in macOS which can be fixed, or if this problem is hardware based.

The internal SSD in the M1 reached 2800 MB/s for me.

I now ordered a TB disk to check the performance.

Aug 28, 2021 7:53 AM in response to tbirdvet

Thanks.

I also have the OWC Thunderbolt 4 Dock and was initially suspecting it the source of the problems.

I even bought a CalDigit Element Hub to compare performance.

I only a short time ago learned about the general M1 performance problems - but in this very forum, I did not yet read any explanantion from Apple about this!

Aug 28, 2021 5:41 PM in response to den.thed

There is no point in contacting Apple Support.

I tried this some times and finally learned, that Apple Support can and will only help with using Apple stuff as this Apple stuff currently is.

For basic questions. Very basic questions.

They even cannot help with the "pmset" command or similar things.

I seek some way to open something like a ticket or case at Apple and thought this forum to be something like this.

Any idea how I could contact Apple for this?

Aug 28, 2021 5:44 PM in response to tbirdvet

I just need to know, if the M1 only have a macOS problem that can be fixed, and if it will be fixed.

Or if this is a hardware problem that cannot be fixed.

In this case, I will change my plans for buying more Apple stuff ... maybe jump on the next generation, if that problem will be fixed then.

Apple needs to open their mouth to deliver proper support for their products!

Aug 28, 2021 9:26 PM in response to Forced_to_use_a_username

Not Apple’s problem as they’ve already made clear because unsupported 3rd party products are involved. Insisting it is won’t help, even with posts of me-too support/internet-you tube links etc.

Based on your description, a fix for this “problem” is unlikely in the foreseeable future, unfortunately. Contact Samsung or the dock manufacturer, and if they can’t help, return their products. Good luck!

Performance of SSD disks on Mac Mini M1 per USB 3.2 gen 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.