Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it normal for the MacBook to chip all along the front, left and right of the keyboard?

On the MacBook, I had seen chipping around the palm rest. Just days ago, I realized that there were long, narrow fragments missing from along the front, left and right of the keyboard. I don't know when or how these pieces fell off. I could see inside the computer, where there was metal. That must be exposed hardware. Gunk had fallen inside. I realized that if things were falling inside the computer, it could be dangerous. The keyboard would get hot, giving me a burning throat. I never turned the computer on again.

I read about people getting the keyboard replaced because of chipping on the palm rest. Is it normal to have so much of the keyboard fall apart so that you could see metal hardware inside? Thank you in advance.

Posted on Aug 27, 2021 7:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 8:54 AM

I'm assuming you have a 2006 to 2009 non-unibody MacBook. The issue you describe is very common since there is just a very thin plastic which overhangs the main frame of the palmrest which is intended to cover the vertical edge of the Bottom Case. Plus the Display has a raised spot on each side which lines up with this plastic overhang which tends to crack this thin plastic overhand over time. Plus just resting your hands on the edge of the laptop can cause the thin plastic overhang to crack as well.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2021 8:54 AM in response to BookOfRevelation

I'm assuming you have a 2006 to 2009 non-unibody MacBook. The issue you describe is very common since there is just a very thin plastic which overhangs the main frame of the palmrest which is intended to cover the vertical edge of the Bottom Case. Plus the Display has a raised spot on each side which lines up with this plastic overhang which tends to crack this thin plastic overhand over time. Plus just resting your hands on the edge of the laptop can cause the thin plastic overhang to crack as well.

Is it normal for the MacBook to chip all along the front, left and right of the keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.