Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration to iMac from iMac

Can anyone tell me is going on? I am using migration assistant to transfer from old iMac to new iMac over wifi. I am now on day 3 ... stuck saying 1 hr 49 mins ... but continues registering number of files being transferred ... however it is now up to 3,850,000 files! I don't think there is any way I have that many files!!! Idk what to do! Prob have about 250gb on the disk. Help and advice please!

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 1:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 2:25 PM

Yes, that's a reasonable number of files. The system and apps are full of files.

And as den.thed mentioned in the future connect the Macs via Ethernet. It's much more reliable and definitely quicker.

12 replies

Aug 28, 2021 2:16 PM in response to anguilla

I think I can help. Yes, the instructions say that you can use Wi-Fi. But, that often does not work, as you have found out. Wi-Fi is too slow for such a large transfer and can cause corruption of your data, with some very serious consequences. I suggest starting over, but this time connect the two computers with a USB cable and all should go well. The complete transfer should not take more than an hour or so. I hope this helps you.

Aug 28, 2021 4:08 PM in response to Old Toad

As follow up to this ... well the new imac started up but I gotta quita the bigga messa ... no apps or their assoc pref files there ... no documents ... idk what the heck it was tranferring. I guess I'll have to wipe it and redo but I'm afraid of that cause of the new system files on the new one ... I'm not a new mac user ... been user for years but have not kept up with stuff for last years cause I'm retired now. Cries out loud!

If only I had physically attached them ... boohoo :(

Didn't know MA was so messed up over wifi

Aug 31, 2021 4:11 PM in response to anguilla

Another follow in case anyone is following this.

I hooked up between old n new with ethernet (using a usb-c to ethernet adapter for new iMac)

Started off looking good with reporting 6 hrs for migration. I am now on day 3 of still copying files (stuck at saying 49 mins to go lol). Over 3.5 million files copied so far and counting ...

Oml I am totally in disbelief at this whole thing and wondering when it will end and what will be the outcome. In the meantime I like need my computer. :(

Aug 31, 2021 4:55 PM in response to anguilla

Sorry to hear you're having this problem. Something is seriously wrong. Normally, a migration from one computer to another using Migration Assistant with a cable (I recommend a USB cable for speed and accuracy) connecting the two computers will not take over an hour or so. I suggest redoing the process. Be sure to carefully follow the instructions provided. Basically, the process is as follows.

You first begin by starting the process of setting up your new computer. You will be asked if you wish to transfer files. Respond YES and follow the instructions you will be given.

You will be told to turn both computers on and activate Migration Assistant in the old computer.

The computers should be connected with a USB cable to facilitate the transfer.  Wi-Fi is simply not suited for a transfer of so much date and corruption often results.  Do not use it. Ethernet works, but is slower.

You will be given several options as to what to transfer. You will likely want to transfer your settings and preferences.

You can transfer all or none of your files. You do not have an option to select certain files to transfer. If you wish to do that, then do so manually.

The old computer's operating system will not be transferred.

Allow for up to an hour for the transfer process to complete once you start it.

Enjoy your new Mac.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck.

Sep 1, 2021 9:27 PM in response to Ronasara

Ronasara Thanks so much for your detailed reply ... so very nice and helpful! When I went to bed last night it was still chugging along and up to 4 million files. I decided to wait til today to again stop process and redo over again with usb cables ... and lo and behold when I got up this morning, the process has finished sometime in the night!

The new computer looks to be all good ... time will tell I guess ... so I will cautiously forge ahead with it. Except for incompatible applications it looks good. Also worthy of note is that I have more free hard drive space on new than old despite being same size! Like how is that possible?!

Anyways I am saving your good advice in case I have to redo yet again lol.

Thanks once again! :)

Migration to iMac from iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.